Auburn soccer falls on the road to Florida

LJ Knox (#11) in the soccer game against South Carolina on Sept. 29, 2023.

Auburn soccer fought hard, but it wasn’t enough to overtake Florida as the Tigers lost 1-0 Thursday evening at Donald R. Dizney Soccer Stadium.

Head coach Karen Hoppa expressed her disappointment in the team not gaining any points this evening.

“We are certainly disappointed to come away with no points tonight , but that’s on us," Hoppa said. "We have to be better in the final third to be successful down the stretch.”

In the first half, it began to look like neither of the teams were going to get on the scoreboard, until a late kick was given to Florida with 11 seconds remaining got a goal on the board. Auburn’s Maddie Prohaska block the shot by punching it, but there was no defender able to stop the initial save – leading Bailey to pounce on the ball and score.

Auburn attempted three shots in the first half by freshman Jessica Osbourne and seniors Maddie Simpson and Mallory Mooney. Mooney attempted a right-footed strike at the left post, but that wasn’t even enough to sustain a score against the Gators. The Gators’ Alex Goldberg made a diving attempt that ultimately stopped the Tigers from getting points on the board.

With four minutes left on the clock, the Tigers were determined to get another point as Haddock passed the ball to junior Carly Thatcher. Thatcher sent a shot on goal but Goldberg tipped the ball over the cross bar – denying Auburn of a goal.

Prohaska is adding numbers to her overall saves, saving three of the four shots she faced. Currently, she has 245 saves in her.

The Tigers’ next game will be at home against LSU Sunday, Oct. 22 at 4 p.m. CST in Auburn's senior night. The game will be televised on SEC Network.

Jakai Spikes | Writer

Jakai Spikes, senior in Journalism, is a writer at The Auburn Plainsman. 

Share and discuss “Auburn soccer falls on the road to Florida” on social media.