Behind enemy bylines: Mississippi State

Tank Bigsby (4) scores a touchdown against Mississippi State on Nov. 13, 2021 in Auburn, AL.

Before Auburn takes on Mississippi State on Saturday, The Auburn Plainsman's sports editor, Jacob Waters, sat down with sports writer Colin James from The Reflector to ask some questions about this weekend's contest.

Waters: What is the Mississippi State fanbase's opinion of Zach Arnett in his first year so far?

James: "To me, I feel like fans are like just very frustrated because obviously, it's his first year so he still has a lot to learn. There's still a lot of room for improvement, but so far it's been like kind of frustrating to watch how the team has played so far, especially after whatever game we just watched last week where the defense looked better, but the offense could obviously use a little more work. So, there's still time for improvement, but as of right now, I feel like fans are just kind of like a little frustrated. Just watching like the pace of the game like how different it was from the Mike Leach years."

Waters: What were some of the takeaways from Mississippi State's 7-3 win over Arkansas?

James: "...That was our first conference win of the season, so that's obviously very huge. And also, other big takeaways, Nathaniel Watson, he had a really big game. He had really good game, he reached 300 career tackles which is good, and I think he's gonna be a player to watch on the defense. And also our defensive back Shawn Preston Jr, e came up with an interception big late in the second half of the game, so I believe those are going to be like two players on the defense's side that really determines the game. And also Mike Wright, our backup quarterback, because Will Rogers is currently hurt right now. So, his status for this weekend is up in the air, but Mike Wright filled in like pretty decently. He made a few mistakes here and there, but he like came in, did his job and helped the team get the win. So, there's like a lot of different pieces to the team that we need to see how they play this week, or like how things turn out when they go into Auburn."

Waters: Given how low scoring the Mississippi State versus Arkansas game was and how Auburn's offense has struggled a lot this year, could you see this weekend's matchup also being a really low scoring game?

James: "Oh yeah, I definitely think so because I think Auburn, they have their own first-year coach, so they're going through their own transition as well. I think it's gonna be really interesting to see like, how these two teams pair up, especially now that they both have new head coaches and everything, and it'll be interesting to see like, how each team's offense is able to execute on the field."

Waters: What game has Mississippi State looked best in?

James: "...I would say like, from a player standpoint, it might have to be either the season opener versus Southeastern Louisiana or the second game versus Arizona because just watching those who games like, it just felt like the team had like a lot of grit and spirit in them. So, they made like a lot of really good plays that helped us get to the wins. So, I really feel like if they play like they did like those first two weeks, like just moving forward towards like the end of the season, I feel like we could make a push, I'm not gonna say we're gonna do all these crazy things, but maybe get to like a decent bowl game or something. I feel like as long as they played like they did those first two games, I think that will be set for the season. So, it just really depends on like, the kind of team that comes out in the field."

Waters: Who are some impact players on offense that Auburn fans should look out for?

James: "Tulu Griffin, our receiver. He put up a career high in yards during the game against South Carolina, and I believe he's going to be a very deadly threat against Auburn's defense. He also came up big against Arkansas too, so I think he's going to be a impact player to look out for. But also another impact player I can think of is really who is going to be starting at quarterback because like I said before, Will Rogers is hurt. Our head coach Zach Arnett said he's on a day-to day-basis. He could end up being a game-time decision, but we're not sure at this point. So, I think the impact player is really going to be like who's starting at quarterback this Saturday. So, that's one thing that fans really need to look out for."

Waters: Who are some impact players on defense that Auburn fans should look out for?

James: "Like I mentioned earlier, I think the biggest player is Nathaniel Watson. Because again, he's coming off a big game against Arkansas and also another players is our linebacker Jett Johnson, who is also a really important player on our defense. I feel like they make a very good  linebacker duo. So, those are like two players that are very good at containing the quarterback in the pocket and making the stops the team needs, so those are like really two dangerous players like coming to Auburn this weekend that I think fans should look out for."

Waters: Your prediction for the game?

James: "I can't tell you who's gonna win, but I don't think it's gonna be pretty. Because like, obviously, our offense could be better, and I'm not too familiar with Hugh Freeze's schemes, but they're coming off some pretty close losses I would say though. Because they look good against Ole Miss, and they also had some other games that they looked good. So, I think it really just depends on like, what kind of team comes out on the field, and who's able to like get more stops and all that."

Jacob Waters | Sports Editor

Jacob Waters is a senior majoring in journalism. From Leeds, Alabama, he started with The Plainsman in August, 2021.

Twitter: @JacobWaters_

Share and discuss “Behind enemy bylines: Mississippi State” on social media.