Madison Scheer earns SEC Player of the Week honors

#1 Madison Scheer readying a spike versus Ole Miss

Auburn sophomore Madison Scheer is emerging as a standout outside hitter, earning conference recognition for her performance this past weekend. Following a victorious 2-0 weekend, which included a historic win against No. 9 Florida, Scheer claimed the titles of SEC Player of the Week and Offensive Player of the Week.

The native of Eureka, Missouri, showcased her skills against the Gators, achieving a career-high hitting percentage of .667. Scheer delivered 14 kills on 18 attempts with only two errors in a three-set match. 

In a match just two days after the Tigers' win in Gainesville, Florida, Scheer continued her impressive display against South Carolina, with 19 kills and a .372 hitting percentage. Overall, Scheer accumulated 33 kills at a .472 hitting average, averaging 4.13 kills per set and 4.31 points per set.

With 33 total kills over the weekend, Scheer finds herself with a season average of 3.16 kills per set, ranking 14th overall in the SEC. Scheer has had 12 or more kills in every match so far in SEC play except once.

This marks Auburn's first weekly award of the season, and it is Scheer's second time receiving this honor in her collegiate career. Her initial recognition came last season after amassing 20 kills on .486 hitting across two matches against Alabama.

Looking ahead, head coach Brent Crouch and the No. 22 Tigers are set to face the No. 10 Tennessee Lady Volunteers in Knoxville, Tennessee, on Friday, Oct. 13, at 5:30 p.m. CST. Auburn returns to Neville Arena on Friday, Oct. 20, for a match against Missouri at 6 p.m. CST.

Patrick Bingham | Sports Writer

Patrick is a sophomore from Auburn, Alabama, double majoring in journalism and marketing. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2022.

Share and discuss “Madison Scheer earns SEC Player of the Week honors” on social media.