No. 2 Auburn secures dominant win over No. 7 Baylor

<p>Auburn celebrates it’s fifth-straight Southeastern Conference Equestrian Championship</p>

Auburn celebrates it’s fifth-straight Southeastern Conference Equestrian Championship

After defeating UC Davis, the No. 2 Auburn Tigers traveled to Waco, Texas, to face the No. 7 Baylor Bears. Auburn earns the 16-3 win by sweeping fences and reining, improving its record to 2-0 early in the season. 

“I’m so proud of their performance today,” said head coach Jessica Braswell. “Coaches Emma Kurtz and Taylor Searles did such an outstanding job having the team prepared. We talked about bringing the home momentum on the road, and they definitely accomplished that today.”

The Tigers earned the Most Outstanding Performer honors in all four events. Sophomore Alexia Tordoff took MOPs in horsemanship and reining, while juniors Sophee Steckbeck and Mary-Grace Segars earned MOPs in fences and flat, respectively. 

“I really think that our depth is going to be our strength this season,” Braswell said. “We have a lot of depth throughout the lineup in all four events, and every athlete is capable of pulling a big ride. We saw signs of that today.”

The meet started with the Tigers dominating fences, claiming all five points — the second consecutive meet that Auburn swept fences. 

Senior Ellie Ferrigno opened the event with an 86-84 victory as Steckbeck followed with an 88-84 win. Segars and Anna Marie Mayes each won their points, with Mayes achieving a career-best (87) with her performance. Graduate Ava Stearns solidified the shutout with an 87-86 win. 

The Tigers moved on to horsemanship, securing the event 3-1-1. Freshman Sydney Swallom started the event off with a tie (74-74). Sophomore Caroline Fredenburg claimed a narrow 71-70.5 win, while freshman Alexis Potts secured a dominant 72.5-68.5 point. Tordoff finished things off for Auburn with a 74.5-74, earning the MOP for her performance. 

The Tigers took flat from the Bears 3-2 in a close battle. Baylor took an early lead in the event, but Segars scored a 91, besting her opponent’s 90 and earning the MOP for the event. Following Segars’ lead, Stearns and Ferrigno capped off the event with their victories. 

Auburn ended the meet with another 5-0 shutout in reining. Tordoff started off the Tigers with a 71.5-71 edge, earning her second win and MOP of the day. Senior Isabella Tesmer secured a 69.5-69 win, while the sister duo — senior Kate Buchanan and freshman Caroline Buchanan — claimed their respective wins. Senior Olivia Marino finished the day off with her 68-67 victory. 

Continuing on the road, the Tigers hope to remain undefeated against No. 10 UT Martin. The meet will begin at 10 a.m. CST on Friday, Oct. 13. 

Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Writer

Caitlyn Griffin is a sophomore from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. She started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @caitlyngrif99

Share and discuss “No. 2 Auburn secures dominant win over No. 7 Baylor” on social media.