Peppertree Steaks n’ Wine opens new Auburn location

A Pepper Tree employee stands outside of an existing location. Photo contributed by Kathy Holmes

Last week, Peppertree Steaks n’ Wine, a store offering fresh cuts, wines and ready-to-eat meals, opened their second location. 

The Montgomery location opened in 1988 and has had a dedicated customer base since. Co-owner Kathy Holmes and catering manager Kim Westfall sat down to explain the preparation they put into opening the new location.

“We had been looking for a second spot for probably a year and a half, and this one kind of just worked out,” Holmes said, explaining that the second location came together relatively quickly.

Because of this, Holmes and Westfall both explained that several staff members are commuting to work at the Auburn location from Montgomery, including both of them. Holmes mentioned that even with the commuters, the Auburn location is still looking for a permanent chef, kitchen prep employee and front end staff to join their team.

Other than the stress of the speedy opening and the novelty of opening a second location, Holmes explained that it had been smooth sailing.

“I’ve got a great support staff," Holmes said. "My staff in Montgomery and Auburn have really rallied behind us to make this happen. It’s definitely been a team effort.”

One of the main incentives for opening the Auburn location was their established market of customers who already lived locally. Holmes explained that these patrons had been in touch with the staff of Peppertree Steaks n’ Wine to communicate the kinds of products that they wanted at the new location. 

“A lot of our customers moved over here, and it’s an easy commute so that we can be in both places," Holmes said. 

Even though they had some returning customers upon opening, they have gained several new patrons just in the past week. Holmes believed this could be a result of their established patrons.

“Our customers that have moved here [from Montgomery] are so happy that we’re here," Holmes said.

In this short amount of time, both Holmes and Westfall have noticed that the client base is relatively similar but that there are differences in the kinds of foods that people are attracted to based on location.

Westfall explained that there is a larger market for gluten free meals in Auburn compared to Montgomery, and Holmes observed the differences in the types of wine customers are gravitating towards. 

“Domestic wines are really popular in Montgomery, and here, people buy more French and Italian wines," Holmes said.

The second branch of Peppertree Steaks n’ Wine is located on Glenn Avenue across from Sam’s Club.

Share and discuss “Peppertree Steaks n’ Wine opens new Auburn location” on social media.