Plainsman Picks: LSU

Elijah McAllister holds up the football in triumph after the Auburn defense forces a turnover versus Georgia

Ahead of Auburn's trip to LSU, here's what some of our staff has to say about the game, complete with score predictions and analysis.

Jacob Waters, Sports Editor (41-19): LSU 34-24

"Auburn is heading back to LSU looking to win two consecutive games in Death Valley for the first time since 1997 and 1999. A win would mark Hugh Freeze's first conference win at LSU — and a historic one at that. While I think this will be a close game throughout, I don't think Auburn has the offensive firepower to win in a hostile environment.

It's no secret that LSU's defense has been woeful this season (122nd in FBS in total defense), but I still think the Bayou Bengals have more playmakers defensively in Harold Perkins and Mehki Wingo than Auburn does offensively. On offense, LSU has one of the best quarterback-wide receiver duos in the country in Jayden Daniels and Malik Nabers. I think Auburn's defense has some success slowing down Daniels and LSU's offense for three quarters, but eventually gets fatigued as the offense stalls — leading to a narrow Auburn loss on the road."

Matthew Wallace, Assistant Sports Editor (41-19): LSU 38-27

"The bye week came at a good time for Auburn and the Tigers should show great improvement over the last half of the season. A night game at LSU, however, is a tough task no matter how much Auburn has improved. LSU averages 548.3 yards per game offensively, third in the FBS, and 44.8 points per game, fifth in the nation. While Auburn is statistically the best defense LSU has faced, the Bayou Bengals are by far the best statistical offense Auburn will face all season.

For all the success LSU has had on offense, the defense has been atrocious, giving up 445.7 yards per game — ranking among the bottom 10 in the nation. Therefore, the Auburn offense should look much better than the first two conference games, but the Tigers will have a tough time outscoring Jayden Daniels and the LSU offense. In the end, Auburn might not win this game, but it will be competitive in a hostile environment, giving the fanbase optimism for the second half of the season."

Grace Heim, Sports Reporter (26-34): Auburn 24-21

"Coming off a bye week, Auburn heads to Baton Rouge, Louisiana to take on LSU in its third SEC matchup of the season. The Bayou Bengals are coming off a win against Missouri last week, and the Tigers are looking to bounce back in SEC play after a narrow loss to Georgia two weeks ago. 

I expect this matchup to be a catfight. LSU has one of the best offenses in the SEC, led by quarterback Jayden Daniels, who totaled 259 yards and three touchdowns in the Tigers’ win against Missouri. The LSU defense, however, has struggled this season, being one of the worst passing defenses in the nation. Auburn has yet to show an impressive passing performance in a game, but if they can, I think they have a chance against the Bayou Bengals. If Auburn can get the ball moving on the ground and in the air Saturday, I think they can upset the Bayou Bengals, picking up the first SEC win of the season.”

Daniel Locke, Community News Editor (28-32): LSU 31-20

"I think this one will be close for a while but LSU will pull away at the end. Jayden Daniels will be a difference-maker for the home Tigers at quarterback and will end up being too much for Auburn to handle. This game will come down to the trenches ultimately. Pass rush will be necessary or Daniels will have a field day. Additionally, the offensive line will need to hold up. The side that wins the trenches will win the game."

Noah Griffith, Staff Writer (36-24): LSU 41-27

"While I don't see Auburn being the first team since Florida State in week one to keep LSU under 40 points, I like what Auburn has done on defense in addition to taking care of the ball on offense. It has won the turnover battle 2-1 the past two weeks, and LSU has lost the only two games that it has lost the turnover battle all season, so watch for Jaylin Simpson and the Auburn defense to try to keep that going.

Auburn will definitely have to trust Thorne to let loose a bit because that's where the LSU defense has been hurt, as Missouri and Ole Miss each lit LSU up for 380+ passing yards and six combined TDs through the air. Look for Ja'Varrius Johnson to make the big play, as he hauled in a 53-yard TD in this game last year and is one of Auburn's top deep threats. In the end, though, I don't think Auburn has the offensive firepower to duel with a Heisman contender in Death Valley."

Share and discuss “Plainsman Picks: LSU” on social media.