Tiger's picked to finish 6th in SEC, Johni Broome added to preseason All-SEC first team.

Auburn center Johni Broome (4) shares a cold stare after dunking the ball against Colgate in Neville Arena on Dec. 2, 2022.

Auburn has been predicted to finish 6th in the SEC over the 2023-24 season according to the media. The league released the preseason projected order of finish and all-conference teams Tuesday afternoon.

The Tigers were picked behind Tennessee, who is projected to win the SEC championship, followed by Texas A&M, Arkansas, Kentucky and Alabama.  

The Tigers finished 7th last season in the SEC, one place lower than predicted this season, with a 21-13 record on the season (10-8 in the SEC). They also lost in the first round of the SEC tournament to Arkansas and the second round of the NCAA Tournament to Houston. 

This year, senior Johni Broome was named to the first team all-SEC preseason ballot along with Texas A&M’s Wade Taylor IV, picked for SEC player of the year, Tennessee’s Santiago Vescovi, Alabama’s Grant Nelson, Arkansas’ Trevon Brazile, Mississippi State’s Tolu Smith, Arkansas’ Trevon Brazile and Kentucky’s Justin Edwards. 

Broome earned a spot at the end of last season on the all-SEC second team and was nominated for the Karl Malone award. He averaged 14.2 points and 8.4 rebounds with a 52% field goal percentage on 26.5 minutes played per game, through 33 games. 

No other Auburn players were picked for the preseason all-SEC team. 

With players like Wendell Green Jr. leaving and entering the NBA draft and new transfers joining the team this season, Bruce Pearl’s team will look to finish better than last season in conference play – with hopes of winning its third regular season title and second tournament title under him as head coach. 

Johni Broome and senior Jaylin Williams will talk to the media at SEC Media Day in Birmingham, Alabama, on Wednesday. 

William Halliday | Sports Writer

William Halliday started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. He is a journalism major from Memphis, Tennessee.

Twitter: @wphalliday3

Share and discuss “Tiger's picked to finish 6th in SEC, Johni Broome added to preseason All-SEC first team.” on social media.