Madison Scheer earns All-SEC honors

<p>Madison Scheer (#1) fights for the ball with two Middle Tennessee players in Neville Arena on September 7th 2023.&nbsp;</p>

Madison Scheer (#1) fights for the ball with two Middle Tennessee players in Neville Arena on September 7th 2023. 

The Tigers’ outside hitter Madison Scheer was named All-SEC by the conference Sunday afternoon following the conclusion of league play this past week. This honor follows last season’s SEC All-Freshman Team recognition for Scheer. 

Scheer’s success during her sophomore season has certainly been a huge factor in Auburn’s likely return to the NCAA Tournament – for just the third time ever in program history. 

The Eureka, Missouri, native completed the 2023 regular season with career highs in several key statistical areas; kills (374), kills per set (3.34), points per set (3.60), hitting percentage (.262) and blocks per set (0.48). 

Within just the last week, Scheer left no doubt with a team-high 17 kills in a five set thriller against the ninth-ranked Arkansas Razorbacks along with 12 kills and a trio of blocks in the sweep of Alabama. 

Scheer has been a leader within the league this season with two SEC Offensive Player of the Week awards to her name. After picking up 14 kills on .667 hitting in a win over then-No. 9 Florida and 19 more kills on .371 hitting versus South Carolina, Scheer became just the second Tiger in program history to win AVCA National Player of the Week on Oct. 10.

Scheer and the Tigers will learn their postseason fate Sunday night during the NCAA Selection Show which will be televised on ESPN at 5 p.m. CST. Auburn finished the 2023 regular season fourth in the SEC standings with a 20-9 overall record after going 10-8 in league play. 

Patrick Bingham | Sports Writer

Patrick is a sophomore from Auburn, Alabama, double majoring in journalism and marketing. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2022.

Share and discuss “Madison Scheer earns All-SEC honors” on social media.