Pines Crossing golf course open for business

After a year of construction, Pines Crossing opened up its long-awaited golf course Friday.

Formerly Indian Pines, the new course layout features 7,000 yards of playable holes, six different tees, a renovated practice facility including a chipping green and a modified driving range. “Pines Crossing is going to be a serious challenge,” said Opelika Mayor Gary Fuller.

There was a ribbon-cutting ceremony at 9 a.m. CST at the clubhouse featuring Auburn Mayor Ron Anders and Opelika Mayor Gary Fuller highlighting the press conference. 2008 Alabama Senior Champion and long-time player of the course Bob Dumas ceremonially opened the course to the public by hitting the first shot on the 10th tee. 

A product of Bergin Golf Designs has given the public course a personality on par with any up-scale course in the southeast. Opening as a private club in 1946, then Sauahatchee Country Club has been a staple of the Auburn-Opelika area for years. In 1976 the golf course became public straddling the Auburn and Opelika city limits hoping to bring all ages and skill levels to the course through its diversity of difficulty.

“To think here today, 80 years later, it’s the people's force,” said Mayor Ron Anders. “I believe our forefathers would be proud of us here today.”

Additionally, Anders recognized the importance of Auburn and Opelika working together to create the course through financing and branding. “That’s what we do here. (When) things benefit all of us, you have our word that we’re going to continue to come together to make things better,” said Anders.

The course is now open for tee times by visiting pinescrossing.com or calling the clubhouse at (334) 821-0880.

Share and discuss “Pines Crossing golf course open for business” on social media.