Plainsman Picks: Alabama

Ahead of Auburn's regular-season finale against Alabama, here's what some of our staff has to say about the Iron Bowl, complete with score predictions and analysis.

Jacob Waters, Sports Editor: Alabama 31-21

"It's weird to say I think Auburn will play better this week after last week's disaster against New Mexico State, but just given how much energy will be in Jordan-Hare Stadium Saturday afternoon, I think Auburn's players will come out motivated and just as energized as the fans.

I think Auburn will have some success offensively in the Iron Bowl as I have a suspicion we'll see head coach Hugh Freeze have more control and say in the offense as compared to last week. With the energy and Freeze potentially more involved in the offense, I believe Auburn will hang around for three quarters. However, I think once the fourth quarter hits, Alabama with its playoff hopes on the line will rely on quarterback Jalen Milroe to use his legs to put Auburn away, and the Crimson Tide will be successful in doing that – giving Nick Saban his fourth straight Iron Bowl win."

Matthew Wallace, Assistant Sports Editor: Alabama 31-21

"I was going to pick Auburn to win prior to the New Mexico State disaster. If the Tigers struggled to contain New Mexico State quarterback Diego Pavia, however, they will likely have significant trouble with Jalen Milroe, whose skill set is very similar to Pavia's. However, it is an Iron Bowl at Jordan-Hare Stadium and history says Auburn should never be counted out when playing Bama at home.

This game means a lot to the Tigers, especially to a class of four-year seniors that has not beaten Alabama or Georgia. The last class of four-year seniors that failed to beat the Tide or Bulldogs was the class of 1948, and that group only played Alabama once, meaning this class is looking to avoid being on the wrong side of history. The Tide's offense has improved greatly from the unit that struggled at the start of the year, and the Alabama defense is good enough to give Auburn fits, even if the Tigers play their best game. While crazy things happen at Jordan-Hare, and I think Auburn's chances of winning are better than what the experts say, I think Alabama will pull away late for the win."

Grace Heim, Sports Reporter: Alabama 31-14

“What was supposed to be a confidence-building game last week for the Tigers ended up being a confidence destroyer, and Auburn will have to look outside last week’s loss against New Mexico State for some motivation heading into the Iron Bowl.

Auburn’s offensive issues and struggling rush defense from the beginning of the season showed up in the Tigers' loss last week. If the Tigers are going to keep the game close, their offense will need to produce early and with tempo. After struggling early in the season, Alabama has dominated the SEC and is looking to keep their playoff hopes alive with a win over Auburn. I expect Auburn to have trouble maintaining Crimson Tide quarterback Jalen Milroe on the ground, propelling Alabama to edge the Tigers. ” 

Tyler Raley, Sports Writer: Alabama 38-21

"Following what could be argued as the worst loss in the program's history against New Mexico State, Auburn is definitely going to have to bring more energy and motivation against Alabama in the Iron Bowl. Being that Saturday's game is in Jordan-Hare Stadium, I have a feeling there will not be a lack of that.

With this game having as much of a similar build-up as the Georgia game did, I expect Hugh Freeze to pull everything he has to offer out of his playbook to keep the Crimson Tide on their toes. It would be no shock to see plays that have not been called this season just to keep Alabama guessing. The offensive variety coupled with the crowd's energy will have this game close for the first half and into the early third quarter. As the game nears its end though, Nick Saban is going to call on quarterback Jalen Milroe to make some big-time plays, both in the air and on the ground. Milroe, along with star wideout Jermaine Burton, will put Auburn away late, giving Alabama its fourth consecutive Iron Bowl win and some momentum heading to Atlanta next week."

Patrick Bingham, Sports Writer: Alabama 27-9

"In the lone instance where an unranked Auburn team managed to upset a top-ten Alabama squad, it was back in 2002. As we gear up for the 88th edition of the Iron Bowl within the confines of Jordan-Hare Stadium, it appears that a reminiscent standout performance will be crucial for the Tigers to seize another victory in their exciting home atmosphere against Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide.

For Auburn to find a path to victory, a swift start on offense becomes paramount—a strategy similar to their 2002 upset when they surged to a 17-0 lead at halftime in Tuscaloosa, AL. However, the most formidable challenge for the Tigers lies in their defensive efforts to slow down the progress of an advancing Jalen Milroe.

While the game may remain competitive for some time, the real test for Auburn's defense will be eliminating the Tide's rushing attack. Even if successful in doing so, Alabama's ability to advance down the field, reminiscent of New Mexico State's performance in the previous week, is likely to be the difference."

Emily Porch, Sports Writer: Alabama 35-21

"There is always some kind of magic in the air when the Iron Bowl takes place in Jordan-Hare, where any outcome seems possible, and I think this year is no different.

After arguably the worst loss in program history last week against New Mexico State, you can believe that this week's prep was intense. New Mexico State chewed the game clock up and kept the Auburn defense busy, so the focus should be to get the Alabama offense off the field as quickly as possible to give the Auburn offense more time to figure out ways to put points on the board. I think this game will mirror the Georgia game earlier in the season and be a close competition at halftime and toward the end of the third quarter. However, Alabama's playoff hopes are relying on this game, and the Tide's talented roster will pull away in the fourth quarter for the win. Alabama needs to stay concentrated though, because momentum can change at the drop of a hat and Jordan-Hare will be rocking come Saturday afternoon."

Share and discuss “Plainsman Picks: Alabama” on social media.