Auburn adds experience to receiver room with commitment of Robert Lewis

<p>Hugh Freeze leads his captains out of the tunnel versus Samford</p>

Hugh Freeze leads his captains out of the tunnel versus Samford

Robert Lewis, a former Georgia State wide receiver, became Hugh Freeze’s first transfer addition for the 2024 season as efforts turn to assembling his next roster at Auburn. With four talented wide receivers currently planning to join the Tigers from the high school ranks, Lewis will look to provide veteran experience to the position group in his final year of collegiate eligibility.  

Last season in Atlanta, Lewis caught 70 passes for 877 yards and seven touchdowns, playing in 12 games. Auburn's top receiver in 2023, in terms of total yards, was Ja’Varrius Johnson with 347 yards in 10 games.

Against Charlotte earlier this season, Lewis had 220 yards, a Georgia State single-game reception record, on six catches. Lewis' performance against the 49ers totaled more yards than all but three of Auburn’s wide receivers had in the entire season. 

The record-breaking performance also included a 97-yard touchdown play which is now the Panthers’ longest play in school history. 

Averaging 12.5 yards per play, Lewis had six or more receptions in six of the Panthers’ games last season with a season high of 12 against Georgia Southern. 

A native of Covington, Georgia, Lewis had offers from Kentucky, Louisville, Tennessee, Virginia Tech, Minnesota and many others before ultimately staying relatively close to home and signing with Georgia State. 

The 5-foot-11-inch receiver will look to join the Tigers’ young talent and up to five potentially returning players from last season's wide receiver room that averaged 157.1 yards per game through the air – 122nd of 133 teams in the FBS.

Patrick Bingham | Sports Writer

Patrick is a sophomore from Auburn, Alabama, double majoring in journalism and marketing. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2022.

Share and discuss “Auburn adds experience to receiver room with commitment of Robert Lewis” on social media.