Auburn wrap up 2023 with commanding win over Chattanooga

AUBURN, AL - DECEMBER 30 - Auburn's Chris Moore (5) during the game between the Auburn Tigers and the Chattanooga Mocs at Neville Arena in Auburn, AL on Saturday, Dec. 30, 2023.

Photo by Jamie Holt/Auburn Tigers
AUBURN, AL - DECEMBER 30 - Auburn's Chris Moore (5) during the game between the Auburn Tigers and the Chattanooga Mocs at Neville Arena in Auburn, AL on Saturday, Dec. 30, 2023. Photo by Jamie Holt/Auburn Tigers

To wrap up 2023, the Auburn Tigers earned their 10th win of the season with a dominant 101-66 win over the Chattanooga Mocs. 

“I thought we respected our opponent, and I thought we valued possessions with 23 assists and nine turnovers,” said head coach Bruce Pearl. “I thought our kids played well. They had fun playing together.”

Auburn came out swinging, going on a 12-0 run in the first five minutes of the game, and then maintained a double-digit gap the entire night. After the first half, the Tigers held a 49-27 lead and went 19-for-36 (52.8%) from the field, 6-for-16 (37.5%) beyond the arc and 5-for-7 (71.4%) at the free-throw line. 

“We were on a big lead,” Pearl said. “It’s hard to, you know, be as strong in both halves. We didn’t turn them over as much in the second half; part of it is my defense. We’re not defending as well in the second, but I thought overall we still held on to 41%.”

After having a sluggish start against Alabama State in the Tigers' last game, Pearl emphasized to his men the importance of setting the tone early on in the game, especially to the starting five.

“Like you said, starting better, coach (Pearl) will be on us all the time – especially the starting group obviously,” said center Johni Broome. “Like Jaylin (Williams) and me, who are captains on the team, to come out there and set the tone early. I feel like our energy was a lot better, and that first group’s energy carried on to the next group. We just kept on going from there.”

The Tigers carried their contagious first-half momentum into the second half, finishing off the Mocs 101-66. Auburn’s offense went 18-for-30 (60%) on field goals, 5-for-9 (55.6%) beyond the arc and 11-for-14 (78.6%) at the free-throw line compared to Chattanooga’s 13-for-31 on field goals (41.9%), 5-for-16 on 3-pointers (31.2%) and 8-for-12 on free throws (66.7%) in the second half. 

Although the pep band and cheerleaders were missing from the stands, the Auburn Family had the Tigers’ back and made the absence unnoticeable, with their cheers echoing through a sold out Neville Arena. 

“No, so it just means there’s more fans in the stands,” Broome said. “You know, our Auburn amily always does their job, so it was enough.”

The veterans, Broome and Williams, led the charge on offensive and defensive fronts. 

Broome was a major contributor to the Tigers' early success, securing eight of the Tigers' 12 points. Broome ended the night with 18 points, eight rebounds – six defensive and two offensive – and four blocks. 

Williams had a phenomenal night with 21 points – which led the team. The graduate senior went 9-for-9 in the paint, 2-for-2 beyond the arc and 1-for-1 at the free-throw line. Williams added five rebounds – three offensive and two defensive – and one steal. 

“Jaylin was locked in,” Pearl said. “He’s playing harder. He’s playing efficiently; his motors are running. He’s making shots inside and out. He’s guarding. He’s having a great senior year.”

Staying home, Auburn will host Penn on Jan. 2, Tuesday, at Neville Arena at 8 p.m. CST. The game will be broadcast on the SEC Network. 

“Penn beat Villanova earlier in the year, and they’re a little bit older, a little tougher, so it’d be another good opportunity for us,” Pearl said. 

With one more nonconference game until SEC play, Pearl and his team have continued to prepare and show up each game no matter who their opponent is – like they’ve all season. 

“We think they’re really good,” Williams said. “We don’t think they’re not as good as us or anything like that. So we respect our opponents, and we just go out there and compete.”

Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Writer

Caitlyn Griffin is a sophomore from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. She started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @caitlyngrif99

Share and discuss “Auburn wrap up 2023 with commanding win over Chattanooga” on social media.