An Auburn staple: Toomer’s Drugs through the years

<p>Toomer’s Drugs has been an Auburn staple since it was established in 1896.</p>

Toomer’s Drugs has been an Auburn staple since it was established in 1896.

In 1896, Sheldon Toomer brought an infamous fresh-squeezed lemonade recipe to the corner of Magnolia Avenue and College Street, Toomer's Corner, where the notorious paw print and Toomer's Oaks are found with a fresh layer of toilet paper snow, flowing in the wind after an Auburn victory.

Toomer was a true Auburn man, a former running back for Auburn’s first football team, a graduate with degrees in pharmacy and agriculture and a former member of the Alabama House of Representatives, representing Lee County. 

Toomer passed the torch to McAdory “Mac” and Elizabeth “Libba” Lipscomb, the current owners of the building, in 1952.

Mac and Libba Lipscomb decided the building where Toomer's is located was in great need of restoration, which opened the doors for pharmacists Don and Betty Haisten to become owners of Auburn’s beloved Toomer’s Drugs. 

Don and Betty are alumni of Auburn and were both involved in Greek life. Don was a Phi Gamma Delta, Fiji, fraternity member and Betty was an Alpha Chi Omega sorority member.

Betty said that when she attended Auburn, Toomer's was not anything compared to what it is now, calling it "minimal."

After revamping the building, The Haistens opened Toomer’s back up in Oct. 1999. They updated the soda fountain, put photos representing the history of Toomer’s on the walls and refurbished the storefront to enhance its appearance.

“It was so exciting. Don’s whole philosophy regarding this was ‘We are going to restore it for the alumni and the visitors that come to town and the community. We want it to be a place where people can make memories,’” Betty said.

Don passed away in 2005, but Betty upholds his legacy within Toomer’s.

“I attribute the total success to Michael,” Betty said. “Michael is the one day in, day out that makes the business decisions, for the most part, and is the face behind Toomer’s, and his wife, Michelle.”

Michael Overstreet is the current manager of Toomer’s and has been since its reopening under The Haistens ownership. Overstreet has a wife and daughter who work at Toomer’s, as well.

The Haistens first hired Overstreet when he was in high school. Overstreet started classes at UAB while working for The Haistens. Then, when they bought Toomer’s, they asked him to move to Auburn to become manager of the store. Overstreet said that he couldn't pass up the opportunity because Auburn was his dream school.

“My wife and I both graduated in 2002, and really just fell in love with Auburn. It’s amazing getting to actually live here and work at Toomer’s,” Overstreet said. 

Overstreet’s favorite part of being the manager at Toomer’s is the employees and being able to watch them grow.

Overstreet said that he loves knowing that his employees will one day represent Auburn and make an impact in their future endeavors. He hopes to influence the employees the best he can and set a good example for them throughout their time as employees.

“Honestly, I love it. I love my job,” Overstreet said. “It’s more than a paycheck, and it’s what I’m supposed to be doing.”

COVID-19 caused the biggest changes to Toomer’s since The Haistons took over. One of which was the removal of all main food items from the menu.

“It was a big thing, especially for the students and faculty, just to walk up to Toomer’s and have lunch, but we realized during COVID that it could create problems,” Betty said.

Before COVID-19, during the week, Toomer’s served lunch items such as chicken salad, tuna salad, grilled cheese, hotdogs and chips. People would come for lunch as there were also tables, chairs and stools at the fountain bar within the store.

“It made me sad, but yet, it was something that gave us more freedom to do more out in the store as far as merchandise and that sort of thing,” Betty said. “It was a blessing in disguise.”

Overstreet explained that Toomer’s lost most of its employees overnight due to COVID-19, but they used that opportunity to focus on apparel. He said that Betty could have made the decision to close the store, but she didn’t because it was nice to be a “small escape for the community when people just wanted some normalcy.”

One of Betty’s favorite parts of Toomer’s is how long it’s been one of Auburn’s traditions.

“Hopefully, it will remain an integral part of the university campus life for students for many, many years to come,” Betty said. 

Betty works behind the counter as many gamedays as possible and always gets excited to see customers’ faces light up when entering the store. 

“I’ve always wanted to be there on gameday Saturdays because it’s such an exciting time, everybody’s so happy and thrilled to be in Auburn,” Betty said. “To be able to work with employees that work so hard all the time, I’m just happy to be there.”

Betty’s favorite menu item at Toomer’s is the strawberry frozen lemonade, and she loves seeing people enjoy their lemonade in the store.

“It’s fun when they take that first sip of lemonade and say, ‘Ahh. This is the very best,’ with a big smile,” Betty said. 

When Toomer's first opened, Don would go to Auburn regularly to take care of the store and instruct Overstreet while Betty tended to their drugstore in Trussville, Alabama. Betty said that Don had visions of how he could make it better, and for those six years, Auburn was "truly his happy place."

“There is certainly a sense of pride with it. It’s something that I never would’ve dreamed years ago that we would be involved with,” Betty said.

Betty said she fell in love with Auburn within a month of starting classes. As a student, alumna and business owner, she said her heart is full when visiting campus.

Overstreet said Auburn means much more to him now than when he was a student. Now, he feels that it's more of a community, lifestyle and an overall "special place."

Overstreet recognized Betty for her continuous dedication to the business and her commitment to the Auburn community. He applauded her for her dependability, kindness and ability to always make time for him.

Betty said that throughout the years, one of her favorite things is still driving down College Street and knowing she’s back in Auburn.

“I loved it then, and I love it now. Even with all the changes, it is still the loveliest village on the plains,” Betty said. “I can’t say enough good things about Auburn.”

Betty gave all her thanks to The Lipscombs for taking a chance on her and Don. As for students and alumni, Toomer's means everything from tradition to an iconic landmark to a symbol of Auburn's campus.

Alison Williamson, alumna who graduated with a bachelor’s degree in finance, said, “It’s the best hometown lemonade stand that exudes the traditions of Auburn.”

Foster Johnson, freshman in exercise science, said, “It’s heaven on earth.”

Whether it's the tradition, the lemonade or the infamous oaks, Toomer's Drugs will forever be at the heart of Auburn.

Maggie Randall | Culture Writer

Culture Writer

Share and discuss “An Auburn staple: Toomer’s Drugs through the years” on social media.