Auburn included in AP Poll for first time in 2023-24 season

The Auburn Men's basketball team celebrates at half court after winning the 2023 Legends Classic

On the first day of 2024, the Auburn men’s basketball team entered the AP Poll rankings for the first time in the 2023-24 season. The Tigers were ranked No. 25 in the poll, which was released Monday afternoon. It was the ninth poll of the season, with Auburn receiving votes in all but one previous poll.

The Tigers’ ranking comes after two straight weeks of being one of the first two teams to miss the rankings. In the rankings that were released Dec. 18, the Tigers received the 27th-most votes and they were the first team to miss the rankings in the Dec. 26 poll.

The Tigers are one of four SEC teams to be ranked, joining No. 5 Tennessee, No. 6 Kentucky and No. 22 Ole Miss.

With Auburn’s inclusion in the rankings, the Tigers have been ranked at least once in six of the last seven seasons, a stretch that began with the 2017-18 season. Prior to that, Auburn had not appeared in the poll since 2003. 

The No. 25 Tigers will conclude nonconference play on Tuesday, Jan. 2 against Penn before traveling to Bud Walton Arena to face Arkansas on Saturday, Jan. 6 in the SEC opener.

Matthew Wallace | Assistant Sports Editor

Matthew is a senior from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @mattwallaceAU

Share and discuss “Auburn included in AP Poll for first time in 2023-24 season” on social media.