Auburn reaches top 10 of AP Poll

AUBURN, AL - JAN 20 - Auburn Men's Head Coach Bruce Pearl during the game between the #13 Auburn Tigers and the #22 Ole Miss Rebels at Neville Arena in Auburn, AL on Saturday, Jan. 20, 2024. 

Photo by Zach Bland
AUBURN, AL - JAN 20 - Auburn Men's Head Coach Bruce Pearl during the game between the #13 Auburn Tigers and the #22 Ole Miss Rebels at Neville Arena in Auburn, AL on Saturday, Jan. 20, 2024. Photo by Zach Bland

For the first time in the 2023-24 season, Auburn reached the top 10 of the AP Poll. The Tigers came in at No. 8 in the rankings released Monday afternoon.

Auburn earned wins over Vanderbilt and then-No. 22 Ole Miss to improve its record to 16-2 last week, earning the Tigers their season-best ranking. With the ranking, coach Bruce Pearl led Auburn to a top 10 position for the 24th week in his tenure, passing Cliff Ellis for most weeks spent in the AP Top 10 by an Auburn coach. Pearl is one of four coaches to lead Auburn to a top 10 ranking, joining Ellis, Joel Eaves and Sonny Smith. 

Auburn is one of three SEC teams in the top 10, joining No. 5 Tennessee and No. 6 Kentucky.

The Tigers will look to defend their ranking this week when they travel to Tuscaloosa, Alabama to face the Alabama Crimson Tide and Starkville, Mississippi to face the Mississippi State Bulldogs. The Bulldogs have already defeated one top-10 team this season, topping then-No. 5 Tennessee at home.

Matthew Wallace | Assistant Sports Editor

Matthew is a senior from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @mattwallaceAU

Share and discuss “Auburn reaches top 10 of AP Poll” on social media.