Auburn set to host Bayou Bengals in gritty SEC matchup

Auburn forward Johni Broome (4) celebrates against Texas A&M on January 9, in Neville Arena.

Coming off a recent late game home win over the Texas A&M Aggies, Auburn looks to continue its recent hot streak with its game this Saturday against LSU (10-5, 2-0 in SEC). 

Auburn (13-2, 2-0 in SEC) has put together a pretty good start to the season so far where it’s currently ranked 16th in the AP poll and top 10 in KenPom – posting high offensive and defensive computer numbers.  

Johni Broome and Jaylin Williams are two seniors that have led the Tigers in consistent production in recent weeks and are the ones to keep an eye on in this game. The two are averaging just around a combined 30 points per game. 

K.D. Johnson is not that far behind as he has provided a spark off the bench since coming off the Tigers weeklong break around Christmas.  

Auburn is coming into this game shooting 46.8% from the field as well as 33.1% from three. Those numbers will be tested as the Tigers will be going against one of the top defenses in the SEC. 

“LSU is fourth in the league in field goal percentage defense, first in the league in forcing turnovers, first in the league in forcing steals,” said head coach Bruce Pearl. “It’s hard to believe but they are more athletic than Texas A&M”. 

Defense has been LSU's calling card throughout the season so far and what’s gotten the Tigers good wins over teams such as Texas A&M and Vanderbilt. 

“I just think because they impact ball screens, they're mobile, they're handsy they don't sit back and let you run your stuff they make it hard on you to run your stuff, they extend catches, they press the ball, they got rim protection,” Pearl said. “They guard a little bit like we do, except they are better at it you know, as far as forcing turnovers and stealing the ball. 

In terms of LSU’s offense, Jordan Wright a senior that transferred in from Vanderbilt, is the Tigers' leading scorer at 15 points per game. He heads an offense that is shooting almost exactly at the same pace as Auburn at 46.4% from the field and 32.7% from behind the arc. 

Auburn has been good so far this season at protecting the ball against good defenses throughout the first half of the season. Freshman point guard Aden Holloway is 11th in the nation in assist-to-turnover ratio at 3.71. 

“I think it starts with our point guards, and you know, I think Aden leads you know all freshmen in the country in assists-turnover ratio,” Pearl said. “Both Aden and Tre (Donaldson) are unselfish players. And they also don't put themselves in positions to either try and do too much for themselves, and therefore, put themselves in positions that where they're going to turn the ball over. I think the second thing is I think this team has really worked hard, and it appreciates how hard their teammates have worked. And so, they're willing to share the ball and just play unselfishly.” 

Auburn will tip off its game against LSU at Neville Arena on Saturday, Jan. 13 at 5 p.m. CST on the SEC Network. 

William Halliday | Sports Writer

William Halliday started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. He is a journalism major from Memphis, Tennessee.

Twitter: @wphalliday3

Share and discuss “Auburn set to host Bayou Bengals in gritty SEC matchup” on social media.