Auburn starts 2024 with last nonconference matchup against Penn

Tre Donaldson pulls up a mid range jumper during the second half of the 2023 Legends Classic Championship

Before Auburn turns its attention to SEC play, Bruce Pearl’s Auburn Tigers prepare for their last nonconference game against Steve Donahue’s Penn Quakers on Tuesday, Jan. 2. 

“We have an opportunity to close out our nonconference season against Penn,” Pearl said. “Penn is historically one of the best teams in the Ivy League. Coach Donahue is sort of a legendary coach.”

After securing a win over Chattanooga four days prior, Auburn continued its five-game winning streak and remained undefeated at home (6-0). However, it was a different story for Penn in its last game, who was served an 81-42 loss by No. 3 Houston.  

“I would like to build on what we did Saturday against Chattanooga from the standpoint of high assist, low turnover,” Pearl said. “This is gonna be hard against Penn. They play so hard, and they deflect everything. And if you think that it’s gonna be easy, it won’t be easy to throw the ball into the paint because they’re gonna go for it.”

These teams have faced each other once before in 1999 in Birmingham, Alabama, with the Tigers stealing a narrow 77-70 win. Auburn will have the golden opportunity to earn its second win against a lethal offense from three-point range. 

“Penn will play awfully hard,” Pearl said. “They will play awfully smart. They have three players that have made 26 or more three-point shots – shooting at 35%. You know, they’re ranked No. 14 nationally, and their three-point percentage is over 39%. They’re 16th with making over 10 threes per game.”

This matchup will be evenly matched with both teams putting up similar numbers on the court. Penn holds a slight advantage from the field and beyond the arc with a 47 FG% – averaging 28.1 a game – and a 39 3FG% – averaging 10 – compared to Auburn’s 47 FG% and 33 3FG%. 

However, the Tigers are strongest at the free-throw line, averaging 18.6 per game (74%) – putting Auburn at No. 16 nationally. But the Quakers aren’t as strong at the free-throw line, averaging only 12 makes per game. 

Players to watch:

Auburn:

Johni Broome

Broome is having a phenomenal start to the season, leading the Tigers on multiple fronts. The 6-foot-10 center is a dual threat in scoring and rebounding, leading the team with 15.1 points per game and 8.4 rebounds per game. Broome is particularly lethal in the paint with a 54% field goal percentage and 33 offensive rebounds. Then, on the defensive side, he has racked up 23 blocks, nine steals and 68 defensive rebounds. 

Jaylin Williams

Williams has been on a hot streak these past few games and recently became the all-time winningest player in Auburn history. Over the past five games, the 6-foot-8 forward has been electric on the court, averaging 17.4 points – going 33-for-48 (69%) from the field, 6-for-13 (46%) beyond the arc and 15-for-19 (79%) at the free-throw line. 

“Jaylin Williams is playing his best basketball right now,” Pearl said. “I am really happy for him and proud of him. And he’s doing it on both ends of the floor. You’re starting to see the real athleticism that he possesses, and there’s never been a better time than right now for us.”

Penn:

Clark Slajchert

Slajchert leads the Quakers offense with 17.4 points per game. The 6-foot-1 guard can shoot from everywhere on the court as he shoots 48% from the field, 43% beyond the arc and 77% at the free-throw line. 

Nick Spinoso

Spinoso specializes in defense, leading the team in rebounds and blocks. The 6-foot-9 forward has collected 19 blocks and 101 rebounds – matching Broome’s total rebounds. Although his strength isn’t shooting from long range, Spinoso poses a threat to the Tigers' defense in the paint – shooting 53% from the field.

“They are a scrappy, physical, hard-nosed, tough team,” Pearl said. “Not something that you wouldn’t typically think of as an Ivy League team, but that’s what they are."

Auburn and Penn will start 2024 with one last nonconference matchup on Tuesday, Jan. 2 at 8 p.m. CST. The game will be broadcast on the SEC Network.

Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Writer

Caitlyn Griffin is a sophomore from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. She started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @caitlyngrif99

Share and discuss “Auburn starts 2024 with last nonconference matchup against Penn” on social media.