Auburn to face Texas A&M in SEC home opener

Auburn basketball's Chris Moore (5) faces a Texas A&M defender in a matchup between the two teams in Neville Arena on Jan. 25, 2023.

Auburn is set to face the Texas A&M Aggies on Tuesday in what will be the home opener in the Tigers SEC journey this basketball season as they look to go two-for-two in SEC games this season. 

The Auburn Tigers are 12-2 through the season while they remain with an unbeaten 7-0 record at Neville Arena, their home court. The Tigers will be coming off the back of a dominant and historic 83-51 win as they handed Arkansas its worst loss at Bud Walton Arena since its construction in 1993. Auburn is currently in hot form as the Tigers are in the middle of a seven-game winning streak that dates back to Dec. 9. 

Back in College Station, the Aggies are 9-5 this season and have a record of 2-1 when playing away games. The Aggies will want to leave their inconsistency behind and snatch a win from Auburn, snapping the Tigers’ win streak and potentially starting a streak of their own. The Aggies started their SEC slate for the season against the LSU Tigers, a game in which the Aggies won the first half but fell to the Tigers in the second half and lost 68-53 at home. 

The Aggies heavily dominate the Tigers in this series as they hold a 14-6 record over Auburn with an impressive 7-2 record against the Tigers when playing at Neville Arena.

The last time both teams faced each other was last season on Feb. 7, a game in which the Tigers fell to the Aggies 83-78 back in College Station. The Tigers are on a three-game losing streak against Texas A&M, but they look to be in prime position to snap that streak as Auburn looks to be the better team heading into this matchup. 

Auburn is greatly impressing offensively with a scoring margin of 19.1, which puts them in the top 10 in the NCAA. Auburn also has a top 25 scoring offense with 84.7 points per game, and its ball retention is a major reason why as the Tigers are currently turning the ball over an average of  just 10.1 times per game. 

Auburn’s electric offense is led by junior center Johni Broome, who is averaging 15.6 points per game and has a total of 219 points to his name in the 325 minutes he has been on the court this season. Graduate student forward Jaylin Williams is the second highest contributor to Auburn’s offense this season with an average of 11.4 points per game. 

The Aggies will be looking for a chance to turn their fortunes around after a loss in their SEC opener against LSU in which they scored only 53 points, their second-lowest tally in their season so far. Texas A&M’s scoring margin is at 7.8, dropping a good amount after their double-digit loss against LSU. 

Texas A&M has been led by junior guard Wade Taylor IV who is averaging 18 points and a total of 252 points in 434 minutes he’s played this season. Behind him is senior forward Henry Coleman III, who is noticeably behind with an average of 12.2 points per game in 379 minutes this season. 

Auburn will tip off its SEC home opener against Texas A&M on Tuesday, Jan. 9 at 8 p.m. CST on ESPN2.

Hector Hernandez | Sports Writer

Hector Hernandez is a freshman from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in building science. He joined The Plainsman in fall 2023.

Share and discuss “Auburn to face Texas A&M in SEC home opener” on social media.