Thompson: 'I want every person on our staff to have a role'

<p>Will Cannon enters the game for Auburn, recording the final five outs on the the way to the team's sweep of Missouri.</p>

Will Cannon enters the game for Auburn, recording the final five outs on the the way to the team's sweep of Missouri.

The Auburn baseball team held its first official spring practice last Friday as the start of the 2024 season is rapidly approaching.

“It is always an exciting day,” said head coach Butch Thompson. “We started with this group since August, and we absolutely have gotten better over the break. We’ve come back better and excited to get on the field today.”

During the offseason, the Tigers have lost some key pieces on the field and in the front office, but Thompson has been busy filling those gaps. New pitching coach Everett Teaford and Director of Player Development Scott Foxhall joined the staff alongside 22 new players – 10 transfers and 12 signees. 

After last season’s struggles in the bullpen, Auburn’s pitching staff seemed to be a priority on Thompson’s list. So, with a new pitching coach and seven new pitchers on the scene, Thompson is excited about the potential of his bullpen. 

“It doesn’t take long till you start figuring out that there’s some depth and pieces there,” Thompson said. “So I’m excited about it.”

With the growing competitive nature of college baseball, Thompson stated – in his over 30 years of coaching experience – that the league is better than ever. 

“These rosters are better than they’ve ever been, and I know what it looked like 20 years ago," Thompson said. "I know what it looks like now. It’s changed in the last year or two. It’s incredible.”

By adding new pieces to his staff, Thompson emphasized the importance of containing his excitement and remaining “cautiously optimistic.”

“I think every pitching coach – regardless of what level you’re at – is kind of always cautiously optimistic, and that’s where we find ourselves because the ramp-ups are important, but there’s a lot of trust,” Thompson said. 

With the regular season rapidly approaching, Thompson and his staff hope to find each of their pitchers a role in hopes of giving everyone an equal shot. 

“I think our jobs right now are for everybody to have a role. I think when everybody has a role, it keeps them more engaged, so I don’t want just three or four guys to have a role defined," Thompson said. "I want every person on our staff to have a role, and we have about eight of them. So everybody’s got a chance.”

The Tigers begin the 2024 season at Plainsman Park by hosting Eastern Kentucky. The weekend series will start on Friday, Feb. 16. 

Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Writer

Caitlyn Griffin is a sophomore from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. She started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @caitlyngrif99

Share and discuss “Thompson: 'I want every person on our staff to have a role'” on social media.