AUDM holds 13th annual dance event

Auburn University Dance Marathon at Student Center on February 17th 2024'

The 13th annual Auburn University Dance Marathon main event was held on Saturday, Feb. 17, captivating students and supporters alike with 12 hours of non-stop excitement. From the hours of 10 a.m. to 10 p.m., attendees immersed themselves in a whirlwind of dancing, games and an array of engaging activities, all united for a profound cause.

AUDM shines brightly as a symbol of student-led philanthropy, steadfast in its commitment to fundraising for Children’s Miracle Network hospital through its annual fundraising endeavors. This year, the collective efforts of AUDM were dedicated to the new standalone children's hospital at Piedmont Columbus Regional, which is Auburn’s local Children’s Miracle Network Hospital in Columbus, Georgia.

AUDM's main event achieved remarkable success, raising a staggering $356,036.24. This marks a significant increase from the $276,237 raised in the previous year, showcasing the growing impact and support for AUDM's philanthropic endeavors.

In the months leading up to the event, AUDM members tirelessly campaigned, tabled along Haley Concourse and organized fundraisers, rallying support from across the community. 

For a fee of $15, students gained access to a plethora of meticulously curated activities and experiences crafted by AUDM.

The festivities commenced with an electrifying entrance by the AUDM morale team, captivating the audience with a dynamic 10-minute line dance set to a mix of songs and audio clips. The infectious energy permeated the crowd, uniting them in laughter and applause. 

Participants were organized into teams identified by different colors. Under the guidance of the AUDM morale team, each group mastered the signature line dance, culminating in a harmonized performance. Moreover, the teams engaged in friendly competitions against each other. Ultimately, the yellow team emerged victorious by the end of the night.

The event boasted a diverse array of activities including silent disco, Irish dancing, yoga sessions and special appearances by the Director Emerita of Campus Recreation Susan Nunnelly, commonly know as theNun, Miss Auburn University and members of the Auburn cheerleading squad and Tiger Paws.

The presence of Miracle families and children, who have firsthand knowledge of the care provided at Piedmont Columbus Regional hospital, shared their experiences. Their stories served as poignant reminders of the profound impact of AUDM's fundraising endeavors.

A highlight of the evening was the presentation of the prestigious Martin Thiele Award to Grace Watson, senior in exercise science, in recognition of her embodiment of the AUDM spirit and values.

Feb Aba, sophomore in pre-nursing and a member of the morale team, expressed his heartfelt enthusiasm for his involvement in AUDM.

“I love being able to hang out with the kids and talk to them and listen to their story and being able to give back to them through raising money and just having a great time,” Aba said.

As the culmination of a day filled with excitement and camaraderie, the AUDM concluded with a dance party featuring Aubie the Tiger.

As the curtains closed on the 13th annual AUDM, it stood as a testament to the tireless dedication and unwavering commitment of both staff and participants, all united in their shared mission to make a meaningful difference in the lives of countless children and families associated with the Children’s Miracle Network hospital.

Share and discuss “AUDM holds 13th annual dance event” on social media.