Annual Krewe Krawl and Mardi Gras Parade return to Downtown Auburn

The annual Krewe De Tigris Mardi Gras parade and sixth annual Krewe Krawl were held on Saturday, Feb.10. The Krewe Krawl began at 11 a.m. and the parade started at 1 p.m.

This year’s Krewe Krawl featured a new purple cup. Those that purchased a $20 wristband would also receive a purple cup to get free samples at participating downtown bars and restaurants. 

Locations included The Hound, Jack Brown’s, Sessions, Moe’s Barbeque and more.

“Business has been pretty busy today with the Krewe Krawl. We’ve had a lot of people with their purple cups going straight to the bar, which is nice to see that we’ve got it busy in here,” said Morgan Byars, head hostess at The Hound. 

Those with a wristband were also able to enjoy food and retail specials until 6 p.m. Businesses were packed with people enjoying the deals. 

“Business has been great today, we’ve had great traffic. For the Krewe Krawl, we’re doing 20% off their entire purchase,” said Kim Mock, keyholder and manager at Wrapsody. “Business is always steady during the Krewe Krawl, we love it.” 

According to other businesses, the crowd picks up even more after the parade. 

“It’s been pretty busy, but normally after the parade is when everyone storms in to start shopping,” said Ellie Davis, store leader at Ellie Clothing. “If you have a wristband, you can get 20% off your entire purchase for the Krewe Krawl.” 

Davis was not wrong about the crowd waiting until after the parade to do their shopping. The majority of people were lined in the streets trying to get a good spot for the parade. Merchants and drink tents lined the streets, too. Some booths had games that Krewe Krawl members could play. 

“Business has been really good today. It’s been really fun seeing people try and complete our challenges,” said Lizzy Burgess, employee at Stamp. Burgess was giving away sunglasses to those who completed the challenges.

Once 1 p.m. hit, though, everyone had their eyes on the parade. The parade began at the intersection of Thach Ave. and South College St. and made its way back to Thach Ave.

It featured many floats, musical acts and of course, beads. Not only were beads thrown, but so was candy, t-shirts, masks and moon pies. The parade also featured some members of the Auburn University gymnastics team, Miss Auburn, and the king and queen of Mardi Gras, Anthony and Macon Martin. 

The crowd cheered and danced along with the members of the parade. The City of Auburn was adorned with purple, green and gold.

“We’re having a blast here today. We did the Krewe Krawl earlier and we went to just about every stop. This is the second time we’ve been to the Krewe Krawl, and we’re having so much fun,” said Nancy Palmer, a citizen enjoying the parade. “I just hope the rain holds off a little longer.” 

Despite the gloomy weather, the crowd stayed even after the parade was done. Shops and restaurants were overflowing with people as everyone continued to enjoy the Mardi Gras festivities. 

Sam Vise | Community Reporter

Sam Vise, junior in journalism, is the community reporter for The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Annual Krewe Krawl and Mardi Gras Parade return to Downtown Auburn” on social media.