Auburn faces trio of tests at Jax College Baseball Classic

Tanner Bauman on in relief on Opening Day, 2024

After a hot start to the season, the Auburn Tigers (4-0) head to Jacksonville, Florida, for the Jax College Baseball Classic. 

Head coach Butch Thompson emphasized how important it is for his team to experience a road trip before conference play begins. 

“One is for experience,” Thompson said. “One of those is a preseason trip or going on the road before conference play. This is gonna be our opportunity to get on the road.”

This trip to the Jacksonville Fairgrounds will be the first true test of Thompson’s team, and Bauman echoed Thompson’s sentiments. 

“Being able to prepare before conference play and go into a different place helps us get used to the rhythm of going on the road – staying in hotels and figuring all that stuff out early is really important,” Bauman said. “It gets you ready for big games in conference, so it’s a big opportunity.”

Thompson stated that "opportunity" is one of the words used to describe this weekend’s tournament. 

“I think it’s an opportunity,” Thompson said. “It’s a test. It’s a measuring stick. Whatever word or words you wanna use.”

He explains that these next three games will “answer a lot of questions” – regarding his Tigers’ identity on the mound and in the batters’ box – especially when playing two top-25 teams. But Thompson stated that rankings are just numbers, so he and his guys aren’t worried. 

“Are we a top 25 team?’ Thompson said. “I guess we’re not, but I’ve seen us rank between 14 and 138. So whatever your RPI is now or whatever your rank is now is worthless. I don’t care if you’re the No. 1 team in America; it absolutely means nothing.”

Auburn will face Iowa on Friday, Feb. 23, at 5 p.m., Wichita State on Saturday at 11 a.m. and Virginia on Sunday at 3 p.m. CST. All games will be streamed on D1Baseball.com. 

No. 18 Iowa (3-1)

In four games, the Hawkeyes have a .294 average, 34 runs, 42 hits – 12 doubles, one triple and four home runs – and 29 RBIs. Iowa has several impressive offensive and defensive players on their roster, with infielder Sam Petersen and right-handed pitcher Brody Brecht being two of the most notable. 

Petersen leads the team’s offense with a .625 batting average, eight runs, 10 hits – two doubles and one home run – and three RBIs. Petersen is particularly good at stealing bases with six in four games – making him No. 2 in the nation alongside Weiss. 

Starting on the mound for Iowa, Brecht is a talented pitcher with his fastballs hitting 96-101 miles per hour, going against the Tigers’ RHP Chase Allsup.  

“A machine,” Thompson said. “I would imagine a machine that you plug in the wall was the only thing that we have to simulate (Brecht’s arm) in all honesty.”

Last Friday against Seton Hall, Brecht recorded 11 strikeouts and six walks and allowed only one hit and one run in 4.1 innings pitched. 

Wichita State (2-1)

The Shockers have a .342 average, 36 runs, 39 hits and 32 RBIs in three games. Freshman Camden Johnson is electric at the plate with a .538 average, four runs, eight hits and seven RBIs. 

Freshman RHP Tommy LaPour will face Auburn’s veteran RHP Joseph Gonzalez. In his first collegiate outing, LaPour had two strikeouts and two walks, allowing three hits and three runs in 2.2 innings pitched. 

No. 10 Virginia (4-0) 

LHP Carson Myers’ opponent is to be determined, but RHP Jay Woolfock and RHP Bryson Moore are possible starters for Sunday. 

The freshman Moore held a reliever position last weekend, recording three strikeouts, two walks and three hits in three innings pitched and earning his first win. Junior Woolfock had three strikeouts, five walks, two hits and six runs. 

On the offensive side, the Cavaliers have a .374 average, securing 50 runs, 52 hits – 16 doubles and eight home runs – and 92 RBIs in four games. Bobby Whalen leads the team in the batters’ box with a .600 average, one run, six hits – three doubles – and six RBIs. 

Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Writer

Caitlyn Griffin is a sophomore from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. She started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @caitlyngrif99

Share and discuss “Auburn faces trio of tests at Jax College Baseball Classic” on social media.