Auburn softball starts 2024 campaign hosting Tiger Invite

<p>Rose Roach (#99) gets a hit against Gulf Coast State College at Jane B. Moore Field on October 23, 2023.</p>

Rose Roach (#99) gets a hit against Gulf Coast State College at Jane B. Moore Field on October 23, 2023.

Following the program’s second consecutive 40-win season, Mickey Dean and the No. 20 Auburn Tigers will begin their 2024 campaign with a top 25 opening day matchup against the No. 23 Virginia Tech Hokies at Jane B. Moore Field in the three-day Tiger Invite.

The Tigers are led by All-American and 2023 SEC Pitcher of the Year, Maddie Penta who recorded 303 strikeouts a season ago – the second Tiger in program history to record 300+ strikeouts in a season.

The ace of Auburn's staff led the league with 27 victories in the 2023 season, now just eight shy of becoming the winningest pitcher in school history. Alongside Penta, the Tiger pitching staff returns all five members from 2023 with the addition of a pair of true freshmen – Chalea Clemmons and Malayna Tamborra.

Maddie Penta (#9) pitching against South Alabama on March 3rd 2023

Strength in pitching is certainly a trait of all Dean-led teams with Auburn just one of 15 programs  in the country to record 2,000 or more strikeouts – the Tigers’ 2089 total strikeouts rank 10th in the country and fourth among league foes.

Penta’s performance over her past four seasons, 677 career strikeouts, has accounted for more than 32% of Auburn's strikeout totals since 2018. 

But outside the circle, the Tigers were able to find success with their bats last season which contributed to the most wins in a single season during Dean’s tenure.

A staple at the top of the lineup, Nelia Peralta led the team with 54 hits, 39 runs scored, 43 walks and a .429 on-base percentage last season leading to a 2024 Preseason All-SEC Team  selection after turning in an All-SEC performance in 2023.

Peralta was the first player to record 50 hits in a season since a quartet of Tigers accomplished the feat in 2019 and her first hit of the 2024 season will be the 100th of her collegiate career.

Nelia Peralta catching ball at second base agianst South Alabama on March 3rd 2023

Dean dipped into the transfer portal over the offseason to bulk up his offense with the addition of Amelia Lech, from Maryland, and Anna Wohlers, from DePaul. The powerful duo combined for 62 runs, 96 hits, 56 extra-base hits including 28 home runs and 85 RBIs during their 2023 campaigns. 

Coming off the best season of her career to date, Lech was honored as a NFCA Midwest All-Region Team member last season. Wohlers was a two-time All-Big East selection in her two seasons at DePaul.

The Tigers’ first task of the season will be the No. 23 Hokies on Friday afternoon, who have won five straight opening day contests. Virginia Tech has experienced quite a roster transition since falling in the Athens, Georgia, Regional to close its 2023 season. The Hokies have brought in 12 newcomers to go alongside 12 returners from a season ago.

Of the returners, right hander Emma Lemly returns for her junior season in the circle following a sophomore campaign that included 41 appearances, a 3.69 ERA, 1.15 WHIP and a .239 opponent batting average. She also added four shutouts and three saves, finishing the year with a 21-11 record.

Lemley ranked third nationally and first in the ACC with 283 strikeouts through 212.2 innings – leading the ACC. She could also reach her 500th career strikeout this weekend with just five to go. 

Offensively, the Hokies are led by three returning senior starters, Cameron Fagan, Emma Ritter and Addy Greene. 

Fagan, sister of former Auburn star Haley Fagan, started in 58 games at second base last season. The leadoff batter posted a .335 batting average with 61 hits, 12 home runs and 42 RBIs. 

Following the top 25 clash, Auburn will turn around and face the Belmont Bruins Friday evening. The Bruins return reigning MVC Defensive Player of the Year and MVC All-Defensive Team member, Abi Ledbetter. The first baseman posted 257 putouts on a .978 fielding percentage last season.

Belmont also returns leading pitcher Maya Johnson. In her first season with the Bruins, Johnson compiled an 11-6 record, averaged a 2.26 ERA, struck out 207 batters and was tabbed MVC All-Second Team.

In the Saturday afternoon slot of the Tiger Invite, Auburn will face its third different opponent of the season in the Illinois Fighting Illini. Similar to Virginia Tech, Illinois saw a roster overhaul this past offseason adding seven newcomers, including a pair of transfers. 

Reigning Ivy League Player of the Year Serena Starks joined the Illini following a stint at Princeton. Briana Bower returned to her home state following two years at Mississippi State. No stranger to the Illini program, Adisyn Caryl joined sister Zoe Caryl on the Orange and Blue squad.

Illinois returns one All-Big Ten performer from last year’s squad. Kelly Ryono was named to the all-conference second team and the NFCA all-region second team in 2023. Ryono had a .352 batting average and a .619 slugging percentage in 2023. The Huntington Beach, California, native tallied 48 RBIs – tying for ninth in the record books for a single season. 

The Tigers will start the season with a doubleheader on Friday, Feb. 9 in the Tiger Invite matching up with No. 23 Virginia Tech at 1 p.m. CST and Belmont at 4 p.m. CST. On Saturday, Feb. 10, Auburn will host the No. 23 Hokies in a rematch at 1 p.m. CST before taking on Illinois at 4 p.m. CST. To close out opening weekend, the Bruins and Tigers will rematch on Sunday, Feb. 11 at 2 p.m. CST. Saturday and Sunday’s games will be televised on the SEC Network+. 

Patrick Bingham | Sports Writer

Patrick is a sophomore from Auburn, Alabama, double majoring in journalism and marketing. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2022.

Share and discuss “Auburn softball starts 2024 campaign hosting Tiger Invite” on social media.