Auburn University to unveil Aubie statue on Saturday, Feb. 24

<p>Aubie hyping up the student section during the 2023 Iron Bowl game</p>

Aubie hyping up the student section during the 2023 Iron Bowl game

Auburn University announced Tuesday that it will unveil a bronze statue of Aubie the Tiger on Saturday, Feb. 24.  

The unveiling will take place at the Harold D. Melton Student Center front entrance with President Christopher Roberts, Bobby Woodard, the Auburn Senior Vice President for Student Affairs and other leaders of the university attending.   

The base of the Aubie statue at the Harold D. Melton Student Center as construction continues on January 23.

This announcement comes shortly after Aubie won his 11th UCA National Championship in January. 

Aubie was originally created as a cartoon character by Birmingham Post-Herald artist Phil Neel in 1959 and he appeared in costume for the first time in 1979. 

The Aubie statue was a $300,000 project, funded completely by donations and created by sculptor Alison Caswell at Firebird Bronze Foundry in Troutsdale, Oregon. In the past, Caswell created bronze likenesses of mascots including the Oregon Duck, Michigan State University's Sparty and Buc-ee the Beaver.The statue will be sculpted through a process called lost wax casting that will use a colored patina to bring Aubie to life. 

The project was approved in April of 2023 by the Auburn University Board of Trustees.

Kristen Carr | Editor-in-Chief
Kristen Carr | Editor-in-Chief

Kristen is a senior majoring in journalism with a minor in business. She has been with The Plainsman since her freshman year serving as a sports writer, podcast editor and host, and most recently, operations managing editor. Carr is currently the editor in chief of The Auburn Plainsman. 

Twitter: @kristencarrau

Portfolio

Share and discuss “Auburn University to unveil Aubie statue on Saturday, Feb. 24” on social media.