Auburn versus Belmont game declared no contest

<p>Maddie Penta (#9, left) and Aubrie Lisenby (#11, right) celebrating a strikeout against VT at Jane B. Moore field on February 10th 2024</p>

Maddie Penta (#9, left) and Aubrie Lisenby (#11, right) celebrating a strikeout against VT at Jane B. Moore field on February 10th 2024

No. 20 Auburn (1-1-1)  hosted Belmont (1-2) for the second time this weekend on Sunday at Jane B. Moore Field. The game reached the top of the third inning before severe weather ended the contest, for the second straight day, here at the Tiger Invitational. The game was scoreless when it was called and, as it did not go the required five innings, it was declared a no-contest. 

Shelby Lowe got the start in the circle for the Tigers. Emma Barnes led the game off for the Bruins with a single to right field. A few pitches later, Lowe forced Nicole Hughes into a 4-6-3 double-play to give Auburn its first two outs. 

Emily Cockrill reached on a walk and moments later took second after a passed ball from Lowe to Elkins behind the dish. Grace Gressly, the clean-up batter for the Bruins, hit a line shot to center fielder Makayla Packer, who hosed Cockrill at the plate looking to take advantage of the Tiger’s miscues. 

In the bottom half of the inning, Nelia Peralta and KK McCrary were both retired as Peralta flew out and McCrary struck out swinging. Icess Tresvik reached first on four straight balls from Bruins pitcher Maya Johnson. Tresvik stole second but was stranded in scoring position after a Chalea Clemmons strikeout to end the inning. 

Lowe recorded her only strikeout of the contest to start inning number two. A Bai Ensio bunt gave Belmont a baserunner for the second consecutive inning. A few pitches later, Ensio looked to take second base but she was thrown out by Auburn’s Skylar Elkins from behind the dish for out number three. 

In the bottom half of the inning, Auburn left Makayla Packer stranded on second after a line-drive double over the head of Ella Bertucci in left field. A Chalea Clemmons strikeout ended the inning, and ultimately the game. 

Up next, Auburn will travel to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico as it takes on UC Davis and Utah on Feb. 15, Wichita State on Feb. 16 and Clemson on Feb. 17. 

Logan Fowler | Sports Writer

Logan Fowler is a junior from Sumiton, Alabama, majoring in journalism. He joined The Plainsman in Spring 2024.

Share and discuss “Auburn versus Belmont game declared no contest” on social media.