Cannon, Peirce feel a difference in this year’s roster

<p>Outfielder Bobby Peirce before the SEC Tournament in Hoover, Alabama, on May 23, 2023.</p>

Outfielder Bobby Peirce before the SEC Tournament in Hoover, Alabama, on May 23, 2023.

Every season presents teams with a different set of challenges, and Auburn is no exception. With roster and coaching changes, the Tigers embraced the changes with open arms. 

Veterans Will Cannon and Bobby Peirce mentioned a difference they felt this year. 

“But the team, overall, just feels different than last year,” Cannon said. “Not in a bad way. Not in a good way. It’s just a different atmosphere and different guys. We’ve all kind of come together since the fall. We learned a lot, and last Thursday was one of our best practices. We had just a bunch of energy – like what guys bring to the table – so it’s been really good.”

Peirce echoed Cannon’s sentiments, explaining how Auburn’s new additions can immediately impact the game. 

“Not every team is different,” Peirce said. “Every year, of course, it is different in some way, but this year, I just feel like we have a lot of young guys that can make an impact, and they’re mature for their age. There’s a lot of guys that can impact the game, and that’s hard. In college baseball, you’re not going to get a lot of freshmen that are really going to do much in their first year.”

Head coach Butch Thompson stated in a media availability earlier this year how important assigning his pitching staff with roles is, and Cannon affirmed his statement. 

“The main thing about the bullpen this year is that everybody in that locker room is just so unselfish,” Cannon said. “Everybody wants to be a star, but whenever you get your role set by (Thompson), nobody’s complaining about it. Everybody just wants to go out there and pitch and ultimately win. So that’s been our main thing – just knowing your role and doing what you can.”

Earlier this year, Peirce was elected as team captain alongside Cooper McMurray, Joseph Gonzalez and Tanner Bauman by their peers. Peirce, one of the team’s eldest players, emphasized how much of an honor it is to be recognized as a leader. 

“It means a lot to me, like just to know that guys really respect my opinion and what I can do,” Peirce said. “It’s something that I’ve dreamed of and something that I don’t take for granted. That’s for sure.”

Before announcing his return, Peirce was on the fence about returning to the Plains but ultimately recognized how special Auburn’s program is.  

“This is my fourth year now,” Peirce said. “I still love Auburn. I always wanted to come back. I could have gone somewhere else, but man, it’s fun playing here. So it was a tough choice, but it’s hard to turn this down. Where this program is heading, all the teams I’ve been on here have been so special, and I knew coming back this year that the team had a chance to be really, really good.”

Auburn officially starts the season on Friday, Feb. 16 as the Tigers host Eastern Kentucky in a three-game series. Each game will be televised on SEC Network+.

Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Writer

Caitlyn Griffin is a sophomore from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. She started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @caitlyngrif99

Share and discuss “Cannon, Peirce feel a difference in this year’s roster” on social media.