Cara Herring is elected next SGA vice president

Winners of Auburn SGA Elections are announced (from left to right): SGA President Jack Hilton, SGA Vice President Cara Herring, and SGA Treasurer Will Goodner.

After a campaign kickoff on Tuesday, the polls were open for Auburn students to vote for SGA candidates and Miss Auburn on Friday, Feb. 2. Cara Herring, the sole candidate for vice president of SGA, was announced as the winner just after 10 p.m. in the quad.

Herring is a junior in biomedical sciences at Auburn and ran on a platform of communication, collaboration and cultivation. She hopes to establish a better line of communication between SGA senators and their constituents, allow for more collaboration between SGA branches and the student body and cultivate connections between SGA and underrepresented voices on campus.

“I am really hoping to further the connection between students and senators,” Herring said. “I think the Senate is such an incredible body that can make such a huge impact when given the opportunity, and I think that starts with having really deep relationships with students, so it’s my hope that we can further those this year.”

Herring has served COSAM in several capacities, both as a leader within the college and as a senator for the college in SGA. Outside of the university, Herring worked as a policy intern for the Office of the Governor of Alabama.

“This is truly just such a surreal moment that I have looked. Forward to for so long,” Herring said. “It is just such a dream, and I cannot wait to get the year started.”

Herring received 6,158 votes in her race, and she expressed gratitude towards those who supported her on election day and those who supported her and helped her leading up to it.

“Thank you to everyone who supported me the last few years as a senator and throughout my term in SGA and those who guided and led me but also to those who have trusted me with this next opportunity,” Herring said.

As this SGA term comes to a close, Herring said she was eager to get to work and implement some of the policies she campaigned on.

“I want to leave an impact that [shows] we left an impact on the students who elected us,” Herring said. “I think that is exactly what we were elected to do, and that is what is expected of us, so my hope is that the impact we leave behind is one that is remembered by all of the students who we represent this year.”

Tucker Massey | Content Editor

Tucker Massey, junior in journalism, is the content editor for The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Cara Herring is elected next SGA vice president” on social media.