Carson Myers named SEC Co-Pitcher of the Week

After the first week of college baseball, Auburn left-handed pitcher Carson Myers was named SEC Co-Pitcher of the Week, it was announced Monday. 

Auburn’s pitching staff is already making national headlines with Myers’ debut in orange and blue on Sunday. In six scoreless innings, Myers struck out eight batters – a career-high for the junior – to help the Tigers sweep the Eastern Kentucky series. 

Myers etched his name in history alongside the former No. 1 draft pick Casey Mize with Auburn's most innings pitched on opening weekend, matching Mize’s six in 2018. 

The UAB transfer only allowed two hits – the first in the fourth after securing two outs – and never allowed more than one baserunner in any inning. Myers also held three perfect innings and faced just three batters over the minimum during his outing. 

With the childhood dream of pitching for the Tigers, Myers emphasized how good earning his first win in an Auburn uniform felt. 

“It was awesome,” Myers said after Sunday’s game. “To be able to play and put on this uniform was just awesome. To learn from my guys and the coaching staff, it’s what I could’ve dreamed of.”

The Tigers return to action on Tuesday, Feb. 20, to face Myers’ former team, the UAB Blazers, at 6 p.m. CST at Plainsman Park before heading to Jacksonville, Florida, for the Jax College Baseball Classic this weekend. 

Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Writer

Caitlyn Griffin is a sophomore from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. She started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @caitlyngrif99

Share and discuss “Carson Myers named SEC Co-Pitcher of the Week” on social media.