UPC hosts Mardi Gras on the Plains

<p>Decorations at UPC Mardi Gras on the Plains on Feb 13, 2024</p>

Decorations at UPC Mardi Gras on the Plains on Feb 13, 2024

UPC hosted Mardi Gras on the Plains Tuesday, Feb. 13 in the Melton Student Center ballroom. Students celebrated the last night of Mardi Gras by adorning themselves in beads, handmade bracelets and masquerade masks while they enjoyed Cajun dishes. 

Mardi Gras, which means "Fat Tuesday" in French, is a popular holiday celebrated in parts of Europe and the United States. The length of the holiday depends on the location, with the last night of celebration typically being the night before Ash Wednesday.

UPC's event, which took place from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. follows after multiple Mardi Gras celebrations in Auburn throughout January and February. This past weekend, the annual Krewe De Tigris parade and sixth annual Krewe Krawl went through Downtown Auburn on Saturday, Feb. 10.

Within the ballroom, lively jazz music echoed from the speakers as students posed at the multiple photo backgrounds UPC set up. Metallic strands of silver, purple, green and gold draped across the backdrops, and balloons filled the arches, creating a dazzling scenery for photos. Tables were also covered in the same colors and decorated with "throws," the multi-colored necklaces thrown out to crowds during Mardi Gras parades.

Upon entering the ballroom, UPC members stood at a table covered in blank masks adorned with colorful feathers and plates full of beads. There, students decorated their masquerade masks with markers and jewels while also having the opportunity to string together bracelets or keychains.

Crafts at UPC Mardi Gras

Once students crafted their masks, UPC served Mardi Gras favorites, a crawfish boil and king cake. The boil included corn on the cob, red potatoes, andouille sausage and crawfish, with the choice of water or soda as a refreshment. 

UPC served students the Cajun-classic, a crawfish boil, to students during Mardi Gras on the Plains.

After the boil, students had the chance to find the baby within the king cakes. King cakes are a traditional dessert for Louisiana and the Gulf Coast states. They are typically strawberry, cinnamon or cream cheese flavored. 

On the outside, green, purple and yellow hues cover the top. Within the cake hides a plastic baby that brings luck and good fortune to the person who finds it inside their slice. The meaning behind the dessert's name comes from the biblical story of the three wise men, also known as the three kings, who visited baby Jesus after his birth.

UPC also served students slices of king cakes during Mardi Gras on the Plains.

Megan Oakes, senior in graphic design, explained that UPC events help her make lasting college memories for her and her sister, Amie Oakes, freshman in culinary science. Alongside the Oakes sisters  their friend Luke Dixon attended, who is a senior in industrial design.

The Oakes sisters and Dixon agreed that their favorite thing from Mardi Gras on the Plains was the free food and music. The mask decorating and bracelet making were also activities they enjoyed participating in.

Megan explained the sisters have always had a tradition of celebrating Mardi Gras growing up, and she enjoyed how UPC set up the Mardi Gras on the Plains. Megan explained that, in general, she has always enjoyed UPC's events.

"I think some people think of these as freshman events," Megan explained. "But it's really fun to go and to know that you always have something fun to do. Any night you want to, you can walk onto campus and get the most out of being a student."

Share and discuss “UPC hosts Mardi Gras on the Plains ” on social media.