Auburn finishes seventh at 2024 SEC Championships with 196.775

<p>Cassie Stevens on bars at Quad Meet in Neville Arena on February 2nd 2024</p>

Cassie Stevens on bars at Quad Meet in Neville Arena on February 2nd 2024

Auburn gymnastics secured a 196.775 in the first session of the 2024 SEC Championships, securing a seventh-place finish. 

LSU, the top-seeded team, clinched the championship title with a score of 198.075. Alabama secured second place with a score of 197.750. Kentucky claimed the third position with a score of 197.600, while Florida secured fourth place with 197.300 points. Missouri earned fifth place with a score of 197.275, Arkansas took sixth place with a score of 197.050, and Georgia finished in eighth place with a score of 196.075.

Head coach Jeff Graba expressed his pride in the team's efforts and commended their performance. 

“I’m really proud of this team,” Graba said. “Obviously, we were a little tight at the beginning, and I think our nerves were showing. But we really pushed all the way to the end. For a team that was picked to finish last in this conference, I have to say that I’m really proud that we beat that mark.”

The Tigers began the SEC Championships on beam, achieving a score of 49.150. Junior Sophia Groth led off with an impressive 9.9. Aria Brusch and Cassie Stevens added a pair of 9.85s to the team's total while Olivia Hollingsworth followed closely behind with a 9.8. Gabby McLaughlin concluded the rotation with a score of 9.75.

Auburn’s floor rotation earned the team another 49.150. Freshman Julianne Huff tied her career best with a score of 9.875, leading the pack. Stevens and Hollingsworth followed with scores of 9.85 each, and Groth concluded with a 9.825. Brusch contributed a 9.75 on the second apparatus. 

Moving to the third rotation, Auburn's vault squad achieved a score of 49.075. Both Huff and Stevens delivered 9.9s, resulting in a tie for first place at the end of the afternoon session and tying for fourth overall by the end of the night. Groth initiated the rotation with a score of 9.7, followed by junior Sara Hubbard with a score of 9.775 and Hollingworth with a score of 9.8.

The Tigers’ standout performance came in the final rotation, where they achieved a season-best score of 49.400 on bars. Four Tigers secured scores of 9.9 each, including Brusch, Hollingsworth, Stevens, and Olivia Greaves, the latter achieving a career-best score.

Stevens secured a total score of 39.500 in the all-around competition, clinching second place in the initial session. Hollingworth concluded with a total of 39.350.

Looking ahead, Auburn anticipates its placement for the 2024 NCAA Regional Championship, with the selection show scheduled for 11 a.m. CST on Monday, March 25. 

Grace Heim | Sports Reporter

Grace Heim is a junior from Enterprise, Alabama, majoring in English Literature. She started with The Plainsman in January 2023.

Share and discuss “Auburn finishes seventh at 2024 SEC Championships with 196.775” on social media.