Auburn gymnastics places second at Podium Challenge in Baton Rouge

<p>Cassie Stevens during vault at Quad Meet in Neville Arena on February 2nd 2024</p>

Cassie Stevens during vault at Quad Meet in Neville Arena on February 2nd 2024

The No. 14 Auburn gymnastics team secured second place at the 2024 Podium Challenge in Baton Rouge, Lousiana, with a score of 197.050. No. 3 LSU clinched the meet with a score of 198.425. George Washington claimed third place with a score of 195.100, followed by Texas Woman’s University finishing fourth at 194.725.

Graduate senior Cassie Stevens finished in a tie for second in the all-around with a score of 39.625, tying her second-highest all-around score of the season. Stevens' performance included a second-place finish on beam with a score of 9.925 and a tie for third on bars with a score of 9.9.

“I think the team did really well considering some of the circumstances this week,” said head coach Jeff Graba. “We’ve battled sickness and injury this week and put quite a few new people into lineups. Breaking a 197 on the road after all that is really good for this team. I’m very happy with the mental approach, however, we still have some work left to do.”

The Tigers started strong on bars, posting a score of 49.125, with Stevens taking the highest score for Auburn with a 9.9. Aria Brusch led off with a score of 9.85 while seniors Olivia Hollingsworth and Gabby McLaughlin contributed scores of 9.825 each, and junior Sophia Groth added a score of 9.725. 

The team continued their strong start on beam, achieving a score of 49.425, the third-highest score in the event this season for Auburn. Stevens once again grabbed the highest score for the Tigers with her 9.925. Brusch achieved a season-best score of 9.9, while McLaughlin anchored the team with another 9.9 – bringing her total for the season to six scores of 9.9 or higher on beam. Hollingsworth added a 9.875 to the Tigers’ beam performance, and Groth added a 9.825. 

Auburn's momentum continued into its floor routine, resulting in a score of 49.475. McLaughlin led the Tigers with a  score of 9.925, marking her sixth score of 9.9 or higher this season on beam. Stevens and Groth contributed 9.9s, while Brusch and freshman Julianne Huff achieved scores of 9.875, a career-best for Huff.

The Tigers finished the meet on vault, achieving a score of 49.025. Stevens concluded her performance with another 9.9, while junior Sara Hubbard, Huff and redshirt freshman Olivia Greaves contributed 9.825s. Hollingsworth added a score of 9.65 to the team's final tally.

Looking ahead, Auburn will participate in the Kidney Care Women’s Gymnastics Championship in Nashville in its final meet of the regular season. The Tigers will face off against Kentucky, Ohio State and Fisk on March 16 at 7:15 p.m. CST in the Nashville Municipal Auditorium.

Grace Heim | Sports Reporter

Grace Heim is a junior from Enterprise, Alabama, majoring in English Literature. She started with The Plainsman in January 2023.

Share and discuss “Auburn gymnastics places second at Podium Challenge in Baton Rouge” on social media.