Auburn prepares for last nonconference series against Austin Peay

Butch Thompson’s No. 13 Auburn Tigers (10-2) prepare for their final nonconference series against Roland Fanning’s Austin Peay Governors (10-2) this weekend, March 8-10. 

After securing its series against UConn and midweek matchup against Air Force, Auburn has an opportunity to claim its last six nonconference games before facing No. 9 Vanderbilt in SEC play. Auburn is currently on a two-game win streak and has a three-game series against Austin Peay and a midweek matchup against Troy before starting the SEC schedule.

“I don’t think we’ve played our best baseball yet,” Thompson said. “And I think that’s OK. And I think I’m positive in the belief on this team, but I think more is gonna be required moving forward if we want to be the team we think we can be and want to be.”

The Governors have had their own electric start to the season, securing a .341 batting average and a .434 on-base percentage with a dynamic lineup that consists of several left-handed batters – more than the Tigers’ have seen this season. 

Austin Peay is no stranger to hitting the ball out of the park, adding 22 home runs to the stat sheet with Lyle Miller-Green and John Bay hitting six and five, respectively. The Governors also have 37 doubles, one triple and 106 RBIs in 143 hits. 

“So they’ve absolutely banged the baseball,” Thompson said. “They have some good left-handed hitters. You’re gonna see size. Nothing we haven’t seen before, but there’s some uniqueness and challenges to force you to have really good at-bats, be patient in your at-bats and make decisions in your at-bats.”

Auburn’s dynamic lineup will pose problems for Austin Peay’s defense with its collective .282 batting average and .436 on-base percentage. 

In 105 hits, the Tigers have secured 16 doubles, seven triples, 25 home runs and 99 RBIs. Ike Irish leads with five home runs, two doubles, one triple and 17 RBIs as Auburn’s veterans follow. 

Graduate Bobby Peirce contributes four home runs, one double, two triples and 14 RBIs to the stat sheet alongside junior Deric Fabian’s four home runs, one double and 17 RBIs. 

“Man, this lineup is special, that’s for sure,” said outfielder Mason Maners. “You all have seen throughout the past couple of games that when some of our best players have an off day, we have other guys pick them up.”

The health of the Tigers’ lineup will be a factor this weekend, as some players are under the weather.

“There’s no excuses in this thing,” Thompson said. “Nobody wants to hear that. We had four or five (at the clinic) this morning. So hopefully, these guys will get their feet back underneath them today and get ready to go again.”

Thompson will alter his starting rotation on the mound this weekend. Chase Allsup will remain as Friday’s starter, and Carson Myers will be moved to Saturday, while Sunday's starter is to be determined. 

“Christian Herberholz is one of those likely candidates, but we’re expecting great competition – so we may need him before we get to Sunday,” Thompson said. “This is our first kind of adjustment period. So it’ll be interesting to see how we’re able to adapt, adjust and execute this weekend with that rotation.”

Due to a year-long absence because of injury, Joseph Gonzalez’s role this weekend in the bullpen is to be determined. Thompson emphasized that Gonzalez missing a start may be what he needs to reclaim his command on the mound. 

“We’re trying to build Joseph up, and now we think the best way to build him up is for him to miss a start,” Thompson said. “He was all out of sync, and it’s one thing for it to take the arm a little time to get back, but the command is not the Joseph that we know.”

The Tigers will host the Governors for a three-game series in Plainsman Park. Friday’s matchup will start at 11:30 a.m. CST while Saturday and Sunday’s games will begin at 1 p.m. CST. The games will be broadcast on the SEC Network+. 

Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Writer

Caitlyn Griffin is a sophomore from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. She started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @caitlyngrif99

Share and discuss “Auburn prepares for last nonconference series against Austin Peay” on social media.