Auburn softball continues to struggle in loss against Tennessee

<p>KK McCrary (16) hitting the first home run for the Auburn Tigers during their second softball match against the Tennessee Lady Vols, March 30, 2024.</p>

KK McCrary (16) hitting the first home run for the Auburn Tigers during their second softball match against the Tennessee Lady Vols, March 30, 2024.

Auburn softball dropped its fifth consecutive game in an 8-4 loss to the No. 4 Tennessee Lady Vols as both teams displayed high power offense, combining for seven total home runs. 

Tennessee struck first in the top of the first inning. A single from Zaida Puni set up McKenna Gibson, who hit a two-run home run, the first of the day, and gave the Lady Vols a 2-0 lead. 

Auburn responded quickly as the Tennessee transfer KK McCrary tallied her first hit of the day, a solo home run at the bottom of the frame. 

The home run ball played a significant factor, with 10 runs driven in by the long ball. Auburn hit three home runs, Tennessee four. 

Tennessee’s offense went on a run in the middle innings, scoring five runs across the second, third and fourth innings and gave the Lady Vols a 7-2 lead going into the bottom of the fourth inning. 

McCrary added the Tigers second run of the game in the bottom of the third inning with her second solo home run of the day. 

Auburn’s first hit from a player not named McCrary did not come until the bottom of the fourth inning when a Nelia Peralta double set up Icess Tresvik to drive in two runs with a home run over the left-field wall that brought the Tigers within three runs with a score of 7-4. 

Icess Tresvik (3) fist-bumping Auburn Tigers' assistant coach Eugene Lenti on her way to home plate after hitting a home run in their second game against the Tennessee Lady Vols on March 30, 2024.

The Lady Vols were held without a base runner in the top of the fifth inning, the first time they did not record someone on base or score a run in an inning for the first time, and gave Auburn momentum headed into the bottom of the frame.

The Tigers failed to score for the rest of the game as Tennessee scored the final run of the game off a single in the top of the sixth inning. 

Auburn used a trio of pitchers in the game after starter Shelby Lowe gave up four runs in 2.1 and picked up her third loss of the season, all coming in conference play. Lowe was relieved by Malayana Tomborra who gave up four runs in 4.1 innings with only three earned runs which dropped her season ERA from 5.73 to 5.43. Annabelle Widra pitched for Tomborra in the top of the seventh for one out after Tomborra allowed two runners to reach base. 

Tennessee clinched the series victory over the Tigers as the conference struggles continue. Auburn has yet to win a series in SEC conference play and moved to 15-11-1 and 2-9 in conference play this season. 

In the losing effort, McCrary finished the game against her former team with three hits, two home runs and two RBIs. Her two home runs brought her total on the season up to five in 26 games played this season compared to a singular home run in 2023 in 54 games played. 

Auburn looks to avoid the sweep against the Lady Vols in game three of the series on Sunday, March 31. The first pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m. CST. The game will be broadcast on SEC Network+. 

Craig Noyes | Sports Writer

Craig Noyes is a junior from Kensington, Maryland, majoring in journalism. He joined The Plainsman in January 2023.

Twitter: @craignoyes58

Share and discuss “Auburn softball continues to struggle in loss against Tennessee” on social media.