Auburn softball loses weekend series to Missouri after 5-0 loss Saturday

<p>Annabelle Widra(#66) hits softball at Jane B. Moore Field on February 23, 2024.</p>

Annabelle Widra(#66) hits softball at Jane B. Moore Field on February 23, 2024.

No. 25 Auburn fell 5-0 to No. 12 Missouri on Saturday, losing its second game of the series. With the victory, Missouri took the weekend series at Missouri Softball Stadium. 

Auburn’s offense was poor the whole game, only tallying five hits, one walk, one extra base hit and nine strikeouts as a team.

Rose Roach had a good game, going 2-of-3 at the plate with no strikeouts, with the only other notable Auburn hitter being KK McCrary who secured a double, the team’s lone walk and no strikeouts. Auburn also left six baserunners stranded on the day which helped lead to the Missouri shutout. 

Annabele Widra had a rough start, only going 1.1 innings while giving up five hits and giving up four runs. Shelby Lowe provided 3.2 good inning of relief pitching. After giving up a single for a run in the second, she retired 10 straight Missouri batters. Emmah Rolfe finished the game in the sixth with a scoreless inning.  

In the first inning, Missouri used two hits, a steal and a wild pitch to take a very early lead. Widra minimized the damage with a pop out and double play to rob a run at home. 

The second Inning was where the game was really lost for Auburn, giving up four runs on four hits, one homer and an error.

“Our Defense let us down in the second inning,” said head coach Mickey Dean. “It allowed Missouri to set the table for a multi-run homerun. We just have to be better at having each other’s backs throughout the game when one area may not be performing at the highest level.”

Outside of the first two innings, the Auburn defense and pitching held Missouri scoreless with three innings of not allowing a base runner, being the only real positive from the game.

Auburn will look to spoil the Missouri sweep with the final series game being played Sunday at 12 p.m. CST. 

Luke McClure | Sports Writer

Luke McClure is a junior from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in sports production. He joined The Plainsman in fall 2023.

Twitter: @lukemcclure0

Share and discuss “Auburn softball loses weekend series to Missouri after 5-0 loss Saturday” on social media.