Auburn turns tide in fourth to claim dominant win over Jacksonville State

After trailing through the third, the Auburn Tigers (16-8) secured a dominant 13-3 victory in seven innings over the Jacksonville State Gamecocks (9-15) after an electric pair of innings in the fourth and fifth. 

"There was a big blow in this ball game tonight for sure," head coach Butch Thompson said. "I don't think we're one-dimensional. I do think we have the potential to do some damage. Hopefully, we are getting closer to realizing our identity and playing with a complete offense."

Jacksonville State started the game off with a bang. Shortstop Caleb Johnson hit a two-run homer over the center-field wall, making it 2-0 just before a 45-minute weather delay. 

Coming back from the delay, catcher Ike Irish got the Tigers on the board, hitting a solo home run 401 feet into center field. 

After an electric opening to the game, Jax State maintained its 2-1 lead until the bottom of the fourth when Auburn gained confidence at the plate, leading to seven runs. The Tigers' momentum didn't stop there, and they scored five more runs to dominate 13-3. 

The Tigers' lineup showcased its offensive capabilities, adding 13 runs, 10 hits – four home runs and two doubles – and 13 RBIs in 27 at-bats. Comparatively, the Gamecocks had three runs, seven hits – one homer and two doubles – and three RBIs. 

Head coach Steve Bieser's Gamecock bullpen held Auburn to three scoreless frames, but the Gamecocks' mistakes on the mound caught up with them after giving up seven runs in the fourth and five in the fifth – racking up one wild pitch, a balk and a hit-by-pitch. 

The love was spread through Auburn's lineup as catcher Ike Irish, first baseman Cooper McMurray, center fielder Chris Stanfield and designated hitter Mason Maners each had a home run and pinch hitter Carter Wright and third baseman Gavin Miller added a double, respectively. 

Getting Auburn's offense rolling, Stanfield blasted his ball over the pitch clock in center field to make it a 3-2 game. 

After left fielder Cade Belyeu and shortstop Cooper Weiss walked, Irish's single allowed Belyeu to tie the score. 

With the opportunity to snag the lead, Wright stepped up to bat with bases loaded and doubled his ball deep into right field, allowing Irish and Weiss to score. 

Going 0-for-2 in his previous at-bats, Maners entered the batter's box determined to extend the lead. Maners bagged a three-run homer, blasting it to the student deck in right-center field to make it 8-3. 

"He drove the ball tonight, but I think his versatility and his experience allowed him to play every day whether it's a right or left-handed starter," Thompson said.

The Tigers carried their offensive momentum to the bottom of the fifth. Thanks to the Irish's sacrifice fly to right field, Belyeu scored to make it 9-3. 

With bases loaded, McMurray saw his golden opportunity to secure a grand slam and took it, blasting his ball 422 feet into right-center field to make it a 13-3 ballgame.

Thompson's pitching staff had a solid night on the bump with 14 strikeouts and just four walks, allowing three runs and seven hits. 

Starting on the mound, RHP Christian Herberholz (1-1) earned a win after four strong innings. Showing his veteran status, Herberholz logged seven strikeouts and one walk with five hits and three runs. 

RHP Dylan Watts relieved Herberholz in the fifth and pitched one solid inning – adding two strikeouts to the stat sheet. 

RHP Alex Petrovic and LHP Zach Crotchfelt wrapped up the match, pitching two innings collectively. Both pitchers held off the Gamecocks' offense with five strikeouts, three walks and two allowed hits.

Freshman Eric Guevara made his first plate appearance in orange and blue after tearing his ACL during fall ball. 

"What y'all don't see is that that guy works harder than I've ever seen," Maners said. "From the day he got injured, he's been working his tail off every day to get back on the field."

The Tigers travel to College Station, Texas, to face No. 4 Texas A&M. The series opener is on Thursday, March 28, at 6 p.m. CST and will be broadcast on SEC Network+. 

Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Writer

Caitlyn Griffin is a sophomore from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. She started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @caitlyngrif99

Share and discuss “Auburn turns tide in fourth to claim dominant win over Jacksonville State” on social media.