Auburn uses big sixth inning to come back for win over No. 1 Arkansas

<p>Cooper McMurray (#26) slides into second base against Austin Peay State on March 10th 2024</p>

Cooper McMurray (#26) slides into second base against Austin Peay State on March 10th 2024

The No. 17 Auburn Tigers avoided the sweep in game three of their conference series Saturday at Plainsman Park against No. 1 Arkansas, winning the finale 8-6.   

In front of a raucous crowd of 5,087 fans – the largest crowd recorded in program history – Auburn improved to 15-8 and secured its first conference win of the season (1-5). 

“For me personally (the crowd attendance) is a big deal,” said head coach Butch Thompson. “That’s the best version of us when we get that, and they were huge, huge to get some momentum in the ballpark today.” 

It was a pitchers' duel through the first three frames. Joseph Gonzalez got the start on the mound for the Tigers and held the Razorbacks scoreless, only allowing one hit. 

The damage came in the top half of the fourth. Ben McLaughlin led things off with a walk. A batter later, Nolan Suza followed with a single to center field to bring up Jared Spraque-Lott. Sprague-Lott jumped all over a fastball from Gonzalez and sent a three-run screamer over the centerfield wall to give Arkansas the lead. 

The damage kept piling on for Gonzalez as he struggled to fill the strike zone. He walked Will Edmunson and gave up a double to Kendall Diggs. Carson Myers relieved Gonzalez and got out of the jam with a flyout to left field against Wehiwa Aloy. 

An offense that has struggled mightily with runners in scoring position this season, Auburn had ample opportunity in the home half of the fourth as Cooper McMurray, Mason Maners and Chris Stanfield all drew walks and loaded the bases with one out. 

The Tigers couldn’t take advantage, however, as Deric Fabian and Javon Hernandez both flied out to end the inning with no runs scored. 

The Tigers didn’t shy away after the big inning from the Razorbacks though, scoring one run in the bottom of the fifth on a Cooper McMurray single to right field sending Ike Irish in to score. 

Arkansas quickly countered in the top of the sixth as Diggs tripled to right center, scoring Stovall who singled earlier in the inning. 

However, it was an action-packed sixth inning for the Tigers offensively as Mason Maners got things started with a solo home run. Stanfield followed with an infield single and Cade Belyeu came in to pinch hit for Fabian. Belyeu doubled to right-center field and moved Stanfield over to third. 

After Hernandez and Weiss drew walks – allowing Stanfield to score – McMurray sent a three-run shot over the monster in left field giving Auburn a 7-5 lead through six.

“I felt like all weekend we were stinging balls right at them and then you know, not getting the big hit when we needed to,” McMurray said. “I was just trying to be a spark… just having that confidence and going up there free swinging and being able to drive in the runs is huge for the team, and you know, all we try to do is win the game in any way we can.” 

The Razorbacks wouldn’t go away though, as they scored another run in the seventh on a Edmunson double that scored Hudson White. 

Auburn added an insurance run in the bottom half of the eighth when Ike Irish homered off the scoreboard. 

“Being up two rather than one is always better. Ike is a great player. He always makes the big-time swing. So, that was awesome,” said relief pitcher Will Cannon. 

Parker Carlson got the win for the Tigers, improving to 2-0 on the season. Carlson went 1.2 innings and gave up one run on three hits. Myers also went 1.2 innings, giving up a run on two hits. Cannon recorded the save, going two innings without allowing a hit.

“I know the guys behind me trust me, and everybody in the locker room, so them just having that faith in me I just know I’ve got to go out there and not do more, but just be me and let my stuff work," Cannon said. 

The Tigers remain home in the midweek as they play host to Jacksonville State on Tuesday at 6 p.m. CT. The game will be streamed on SEC Network+.

Logan Fowler | Sports Writer

Logan Fowler is a junior from Sumiton, Alabama, majoring in journalism. He joined The Plainsman in Spring 2024.

Share and discuss “Auburn uses big sixth inning to come back for win over No. 1 Arkansas” on social media.