Dean to step down as Auburn softball coach at end of season

<p>Head Coach Mickey Dean&nbsp;during Auburn's second doubleheader game vs. Arkansas on Saturday, April 21, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Head Coach Mickey Dean during Auburn's second doubleheader game vs. Arkansas on Saturday, April 21, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

Auburn softball head coach Mickey Dean will step down from his role at the end of the 2024 season, it was announced Tuesday. Dean is currently in his seventh season as the Tigers' head coach.

“I came to Athletic Director John Cohen this week after several previous conversations with him and made the difficult decision to step down as the head coach of the Auburn softball program at the conclusion of this season,” Dean said. “This was my decision and while it was a difficult one, it is what I felt was best for me and the program moving forward to allow me to focus time on personal matters.”

Dean became the Tigers' head coach in 2017, following Clint Myers. Dean's Auburn teams have qualified for five NCAA Regionals but have yet to advance to a Super Regional. Dean previously coached at Radford from 2007-12, and James Madison from 2013-16 before taking the Auburn job.

“I am not from Auburn, but I consider myself an Auburn man as this institution and community has a special place in my heart,” Dean said. “My goal has always been to do what is best for the program and get the program to a point where it can sustain success in an environment that prioritizes the growth of our student-athletes. Words do not properly express my appreciation for Auburn and the Auburn family, and I look forward to continuing to serve Auburn.”

The 2024 Auburn softball team currently has a record of 15-9-1, with a 2-7 mark in SEC play. Dean's record at Auburn is 221-118-1.

"I am grateful to Mickey for his service to Auburn and the care he has for this program and his student athletes," Cohen said. "Throughout our many conversations during my time at Auburn, it has been evident how much he values being a part of the Auburn family and appreciates his opportunity to lead this storied program. I know this was a decision that he did not take lightly but was one which he felt was ultimately best for Mickey, his family and the continued growth and success of Auburn Softball."

Dean will continue to serve in the Auburn athletic department as a special assistant to the athletic director following the season.

Matthew Wallace | Assistant Sports Editor

Matthew is a senior from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @mattwallaceAU

Share and discuss “Dean to step down as Auburn softball coach at end of season” on social media.