Examining Auburn women’s basketball tournament resume

Honesty Scott-Grayson scores 3 points agaisnt LSU on January 14th 2024 at Neville Arena

With March Madness looming and the NCAA Tournament starting next week, here's a closer look at Auburn’s resume and some bright spots the Tigers have accumulated throughout the year. 

Auburn’s record is 20-11 and 8-8 in SEC play and the Tigers have the 54th ranked strength of schedule. Six out of 11 of Auburn’s losses were within seven points.

The Tigers most recently lost to No. 8 LSU in the SEC Tournament quarterfinals, but its biggest win was against the opposing Tigers back in January. The Tigers won that game 67-62 where LSU was No. 7 at that time. 

ESPN’s latest Bracketology has Auburn listed as one of the teams in the “last four byes” category. This means that the Tigers have done well enough to not be in the First Four, a set of four games between eight teams prior to the Round of 64 to solidify the last four participants in the first round. ESPN’s latest Bracketology has Auburn as a No. 11 seed, joining seven other SEC teams ESPN has projected to make the tournament. 

Auburn’s Honesty Scott-Grayson ranks 65th in the nation in points per game, averaging 17.4. She has been the main focal point for the Tigers’ offense.

JaMya Mingo-Young averages the seventh-most assists in the SEC with 3.96 per game and has the third-highest free-throw percentage in the SEC at 84.4%. The two seniors have been a huge part of the team’s success as leaders. 

The Tigers’ defense has been a huge part of its success this season, where the team averages 10.4 steals per game which is second in the SEC. Its scoring defense ranks second in the SEC behind only No. 1 South Carolina. Its field goal percentage defense is 37.7%, ranking fourth in the SEC, and 3-point field goal percentage defense is 27.9%, second in the SEC.

Auburn has one Quad 1 win, five Quad 2 wins and 10 Quad 3 wins. Auburn’s 5-2 record in Quad 2 games ties it at 22nd in the country. The Tigers' 10 Quad 3 wins ties them at sixth most. The team has shown consistency through these various Quad 2 and 3 wins that is needed in a tournament setting.

The Tigers have proved they can beat top teams, beating LSU earlier, and that they can play in the tough SEC – making it to the quarterfinals of the SEC Tournament. They have made a strong case to make the women’s tournament mainly through their impressive defense throughout this season. 

The NCAA women’s basketball tournament selection show is at 7 p.m. CST on Sunday, March 17. It will be televised on ESPN. The tournament begins with the First Four on March 20-21, before the Round of 64 and 32 starts March 22-25.

Tyler Cox | Sports Writer

Tyler Cox is a sophomore from Atlanta majoring in journalism. He joined The Plainsman in fall 2023.

Share and discuss “Examining Auburn women’s basketball tournament resume” on social media.