Late homers lead Auburn to walk-off win over Austin Peay

Down by a run in the eighth inning, Auburn used a pair of late homers to win its series opener against Austin Peay 7-6. Christian Hall tied the game in the eighth with a solo shot and Mason Maners led off the ninth with a solo homer to walk the game off for the Tigers. The thriller provided a dramatic start to Auburn’s final weekend nonconference series of the season.

“It came down to some resilience by our guys,” said head coach Butch Thompson. “Big swings by Hall and Maners right there were huge.

The first two innings showed great promise for the Tigers. In the first, Auburn got its first run of the game after leadoff hitter Cooper Weiss singled to right field and advanced to second on a balk. After Ike Irish and Bobby Peirce failed to move Weiss over, Cooper McMurray brought him home on a single back to the pitcher to give the Tigers a 1-0 advantage.

Auburn (11-2) broke out for four more runs in the second inning. The first two runs of the frame were given up on free passes as Chris Stanfield and Maners each walked to lead off the inning. After a Javon Hernandez bunt single loaded the bases, Irish walked and Peirce was hit by a pitch to plate two runs with one out. 

McMurray then continued his big day with a two-run single to right-center field, bringing his total to three RBIs for the game. After two innings, Auburn led 5-0, but things soon got rocky for the Tigers.

Chase Allsup was the Tigers’ starting pitcher for the game. Allsup was in complete control of the game for his first two innings, setting down the Governors’ acclaimed offense in order in the first two innings. 

After retiring the first seven batters, Allsup allowed his first hit of the game in the third – a single through the left side. This was followed by another single with a throwing error, then another single to plate two runs for Austin Peay. The Governors’ offense, which came into the game 11th nationally in batting average, had found life.

Austin Peay (10-3) tightened the gap against Allsup further in the fifth. After retiring the first two batters in the inning, Allsup gave up a single and a walk, bringing an end to his day. 

Allsup was pulled for Zach Crotchfelt, who allowed a walk and a two-run single to the first two batters he faced but induced a flyout to keep Auburn in front. Both of the Governors’ runs in the inning were charged to Allsup. The Tigers’ lead was down to 5-4 after five innings.

Allsup went 4.2 innings for the Tigers, throwing 97 pitches and giving up four hits and four runs – all of which were earned. He struck out seven in his appearance while walking just one batter.

As the Governors’ offense found life, Auburn’s offense stagnated after the second inning. The Tigers never had a serious threat, getting just one hit from the third through seventh innings. 

After his tough start, Austin Peay starter Jacob Weaver settled into the game. Weaver gave up just six hits and five runs – though all but one of the hits came in the first two innings. Weaver was greatly efficient for Austin Peay, throwing 104 pitches over seven innings, walking four and striking out three.

The Governors tied the game on a solo home run in the top of the seventh inning and took the lead in the eighth as John Armstrong gave up three singles in the inning. Armstrong, who pitched a perfect sixth inning and allowed just the home run in the seventh was pulled with two outs for Tanner Bauman after the tough eighth.

Auburn, once ahead by five runs, now trailed 6-5 going to the bottom of the eighth. The inning started much like the last five innings had gone for the Tigers as the first two batters were retired. Hall, with one swing of the bat, changed the complexion of the game. Hall’s fourth home run of the season was a solo shot to right field that traveled 382 feet and tied the game.

“Honestly, I knew the guy was going to throw a fastball,” Hall said. “I was in my two-strike approach and the big thing that Coach Gross teaches us is just don’t be late. Be on time for the fastball and keep it short and simple. I knew I was going to get one and I didn’t miss it.”

Bauman returned for the ninth, walking one batter but not allowing a hit. 

“Tanner (Bauman) came in and threw a pitch on Wednesday, and it’s less than 48 hours later with this early start where he’s out there trying to do it again. He threw three pitches today to get us out of an inning and then was able to throw a clean ninth to get us in here and have a chance to do that.”

The bottom of the ninth did not last long, as Maners – the inning’s leadoff hitter – homered to right field to end the game and give Auburn the walk-off win. Maners’ third homer of the season not only gave Auburn the win, but also gave Bauman his second win of the season.

“Man, this one feels really good,” Maners said. “Praise the Lord, this team is so good. We’re playing against a really good ballclub. We knew we were going to be in for a fight, and this team is so resilient. I had full faith we were going to pull that one out.

The pair of late homers gave Auburn 27 home runs through 13 games this season and multiple home runs in six straight games. 

The two teams will continue their series on Saturday, as Auburn left-hander Carson Myers (1-0, 1.88 ERA) faces Austin Peay right-hander Andrew Devine (2-0, 2.65 ERA). First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m. CST at Plainsman Park.

Matthew Wallace | Assistant Sports Editor

Matthew is a senior from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2021.

Twitter: @mattwallaceAU

Share and discuss “Late homers lead Auburn to walk-off win over Austin Peay” on social media.