Lior Berman out for remainder of season with ACL injury

Lior Berman warming up during open practice

On Sunday morning, an MRI scan confirmed that graduate guard Lior Berman will miss the remainder of the season because of an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury to his left knee suffered during Auburn’s game against Mississippi State. 

Over the next few days, Berman will consult with Dr. Benton Emblom, Auburn orthopedic surgeon. 

“Our heart truly breaks for Lior,” said head coach Bruce Pearl. “He has made a huge impact in this program, resulting in historic success over the last five years. At a time when he had worked his way into a major role on this year’s team, the Lord had a different plan. I promise you, Lior’s faith and conviction will allow him to pursue his dream of playing professionally next year in Israel. Our team may have won a game yesterday, but we suffered a huge loss.”

The Birmingham, Alabama, native played 86 career games and helped the Tigers earn the No. 1 national ranking as well as the Southeastern Conference regular-season championship in 2021-22 on the way to Auburn’s 22-7 overall record that season. 

After his senior season (2022-23), the former walk-on returned for his fifth year after receiving a scholarship for his senior campaign. In May 2022, Berman graduated summa cum laude with a bachelor’s degree in industrial design. 

Earning a regular role in this year’s rotation, the 6-foot-4, 210-pound guard averaged 6.4 minutes in 28 games played and added 48 total points to No. 11 Auburn’s stat sheet – shooting 44% from the field, 35% beyond the arc and 67% at the free-throw line. 

Against Mississippi State on Saturday, Berman added five points to the board, going 2-for-3 from the field and 1-for-2 beyond the arc in 10 minutes before suffering his season-ending injury. 

“I want to give thanks to my coaches, staff, administration, teammates and the Auburn Family,” Berman said. “I have loved every second here and wouldn’t trade it for anything. Let’s finish this season with a bang. War Eagle!”

Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Writer

Caitlyn Griffin is a sophomore from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. She started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @caitlyngrif99

Share and discuss “Lior Berman out for remainder of season with ACL injury ” on social media.