Auburn defensive back DJ James drafted by Seattle Seahawks

<p>Auburn CB D. J. James celebrates against Samford at Jordan Hare Stadium on September 16, 2023.</p>

Auburn CB D. J. James celebrates against Samford at Jordan Hare Stadium on September 16, 2023.

DJ James was drafted by the Seattle Seahawks with the No. 192 pick in the sixth round of the NFL Draft — joining teammate and the Seahawks fifth round pick Nehemiah Pritchett. 

James is a 23-year-old corner who has played his last two seasons for the Auburn Tigers, starting 24 games over that span. Starting his career with Oregon in 2019, James played in 25 games over three years. In that time, he accumulated 72 tackles, two interceptions and six pass deflections. 

Prior to the start of the 2022 season, James transferred to Auburn where he became a starter and accumulated 75 total tackles three interceptions 18 pass deflections and a touchdown over two seasons. James received second team All-SEC honors from both the coaches and AP following his 2022 campaign. 

During his senior season, James collected 38 total tackles and had 10 pass breakups. James had two interceptions during the 2023 season; a game-saving end zone interception with 1:44 remaining in the win at Cal alongside an interception off a tipped pass by Jaylin Simpson at LSU. 

D.J. James(4)

James participated in the Reese's Bowl and NFL Combine during his pre-draft process — coming in at 6-foot tall and weighing 175 pounds. He ran a 4.42 second 40-yard dash — ranking ninth among all cornerbacks at the combine. 

The Mobile, AL native will join the Seahawks who finished the 2023 season with a 9-8 record and third in the NFC West division race. 

Luke McClure | Sports Writer

Luke McClure is a junior from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in sports production. He joined The Plainsman in fall 2023.

Twitter: @lukemcclure0

Share and discuss “Auburn defensive back DJ James drafted by Seattle Seahawks” on social media.