Auburn falls to Texas A&M in 12-inning showdown

<p>Gavin Miller (#11) celebrates homerun with teammates against Austin Peay State on March 10th 2024</p>

Gavin Miller (#11) celebrates homerun with teammates against Austin Peay State on March 10th 2024

In the series finale at Blue Bell Park, Auburn managed to push the game to 12 innings after trailing behind by three runs going into the eight inning. However, the Tigers ultimately fell to No. 4 Texas A&M 10-9.

In a crucial moment with a runner stationed on third and only one out, Texas A&M (25-3, 6-3 SEC) clinched a victory with a single driven back through the middle of the field, sealing the game in walk-off fashion.

Auburn (16-11, 1-8 SEC) showcased an impressive offensive display, amassing a season-high 17 hits distributed among 12 different players throughout the game, with five Tigers securing multiple hits. A total of eight pitchers took the mound, with five of them having already pitched earlier in the weekend.

Head coach Butch Thompson commended his team's effort, acknowledging the contributions made by various players.

“So many guys contributed and gave us a chance to win," Thompson said. "We talked about it earlier today that your character will be revealed at this stage and time, and I thought we played with a lot of character today.”

A pivotal moment arose in the ninth inning when, trailing by a single run following Texas A&M's score to regain the lead in the bottom of the eighth, Gavin Miller stepped up with a pinch-hit home run, leveling the score at 9-9. This homer marked Miller’s second of the season and continued Auburn's streak of consecutive innings with leadoff pinch-hit home runs.

Despite Texas A&M consistently responding to Auburn's scoring, John Armstrong managed to hold the Aggies off in the bottom of the ninth, pitching through the heart of their lineup and leaving two runners stranded, forcing the game into extra innings with a clutch strikeout.

Entering the eighth inning trailing 8-5, Auburn staged a comeback, scoring three runs to tie the game. Christian Hall initiated the inning with a pinch-hit homer, followed by consecutive hits from the next three batters, including a crucial infield single by Ike Irish to cut the deficit to one. Cooper McMurray then tied the game with a sacrifice fly to right field.

Thompson expressed optimism about his team's growth.

“This particular team will continue to grow and get better," Thompson said. "We saw a glimpse of that today. You keep getting opportunities and keep trying to make adjustments. That’s what we saw tonight for the vast majority of the ballgame.”

Auburn launched an offensive onslaught early in the game, securing six hits in the first two innings and establishing a 3-0 lead with two runs in the second. However, Texas A&M swiftly responded, capitalizing on defensive errors to score two unearned runs in the bottom of the second and taking a 4-3 lead with a two-run homer in the third inning.

Despite several scoring opportunities, including loading the bases with no outs in the fourth, Auburn struggled to capitalize on these fully, with potential tying runs being thwarted, resulting in missed opportunities to close the gap.

Both teams continued to trade blows, exchanging solo home runs in the fifth inning, maintaining the intensity of the game. Standout performances from players like Chris Stanfield and Irish fueled Auburn's offense, showcasing its resilience throughout the game.

Looking ahead, Auburn will face UAB at Regions Field on Tuesday at 6 p.m. CST as the Tigers continue their midweek schedule.

Share and discuss “Auburn falls to Texas A&M in 12-inning showdown” on social media.