Auburn hopes to end six-game losing streak in midweek matchup

Cooper McMurray (#26) rounds second base versus Kentucky in Plainsman Park on April 13th, 2024.

After suffering their fourth SEC series loss, the Auburn Tigers (18-17, 2-13 SEC) will complete the eight-game home stand by hosting the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (22-12, 7-8 ACC) for their midweek match this Tuesday. 

The Yellow Jackets and the Tigers are familiar foes having faced each other every year since 2015 after a 10 year ten year absence in the series — the Yellow Jackets lead the overall series 14-13. 

Both teams faced each other this time last year. On April 11, 2023, Georgia Tech defended its home turf and served Auburn a 12-8 loss.

The Tigers have struggled this season, facing problems in the lineup and on the mound. Auburn is on a six-game losing streak after falling to Alabama State 3-2 and losing its series against No. 4 Tennessee and No. 8 Kentucky. 

In Auburn’s first five SEC series, four of the opponents are currently ranked in the top four of this week’s D1Baseball.com's top 25 rankings, No. 1 Texas A&M, No. 2 Arkansas, No. 3 Kentucky and No. 4 Tennessee. The Tigers’ only other conference series came at No. 13 Vanderbilt. 

Morale in the locker room continues to decline as Auburn’s pitching staff and lineup struggles in the conference play, so this game will be crucial for the Tigers’ confidence heading into the back half of league play. 

It’s been a different story for the Yellow Jackets at Mac Nease Baseball Park. Georgia Tech has claimed its series against Pitt and Virginia Tech, so winning this midweek matchup will give the Yellow Jackets momentum for the rest of the season. 

Both teams are evenly matched at the plate and can knock balls out of the park, but Georgia Tech has the edge over Auburn when it comes to making it on base – with the Yellow Jackets’ .434 and the Tigers’ .396. 

Throughout the season, head coach Danny Hall’s offense averages eight runs and 10 hits a game, while Butch Thompson’s lineup averages seven runs and nine hits per game. 

Leading the Yellow Jackets, freshman Drew Burress has a .374 batting average – second on the team – and a .488 on-base percentage. The youngster has no problem hammering his ball out of the park with 15 home runs – nationally ranked No. 11. 

Comparatively, sophomore Ike Irish and redshirt junior Cooper McMurray lead the Tigers on the offensive front. The duo has 67 runs, 88 hits – 19 doubles and 23 home runs – and 94 RBIs. 

However, Irish will probably be absent from Tuesday’s lineup as he deals with a hand injury, so this will be a significant loss for Auburn’s offense. 

Right handed pitcher Christian Herberholz (5.00 ERA) has been Thompson’s consistent midweek starter and is the likely starter against Georgia Tech. In nine appearances, Herberholz has logged 35 strikeouts with eight walks. 

This midweek matchup is set for Tuesday, April 16, at 6 p.m. CST. Tuesday’s game will be televised on the SEC Network and can be heard on the Auburn Sports Network around the state. 

Caitlyn Griffin | Sports Writer

Caitlyn Griffin is a sophomore from Huntsville, Alabama, majoring in journalism. She started with The Plainsman in fall 2022. 

Twitter: @caitlyngrif99

Share and discuss “Auburn hopes to end six-game losing streak in midweek matchup” on social media.