Tigers win second straight series over No. 16 Alabama

<p>Axe Milanowski's force error on Alabama third baseman in the last game of the series at Jane B. Moore Field on May 4th 2024</p>

Axe Milanowski's force error on Alabama third baseman in the last game of the series at Jane B. Moore Field on May 4th 2024

Following an eleven inning loss to No. 16 Alabama last night, Auburn claimed its second straight series win over its in-state rival in a 3-0 Saturday afternoon win to conclude the 2024 regular season.

It’s the first time the Tigers have won back-to-back series over the Crimson Tide since the 2017 and 2018 seasons and the win was the 1000th in program history for Auburn.

“Annabelle did a tremendous job,” said head coach Mickey Dean. “(Emily) Carosone showed her some numbers. She got every batter in the beginning of an inning out, and she didn’t walk a single batter. Annabelle can be extremely successful when she does that.”

Annabelle Widra had a season high seven strikeouts in a complete game performance against the Tide. Alabama was only able to compile four hits against the senior out of Hoover, AL. 

“I had a few minutes to reflect after coach Dean told me I had the starting nod,” Widra said. “I didn’t have my best outing against them last season. I wanted to come out sharp, trust myself and trust my defense. Everything came together.” 

Widra didn’t allow a walk – her seventh straight appearance without a walk this season. Her only free pass of the day was a hit by pitch in the sixth inning.

After being held scoreless for 15 straight innings dating back to game one of the series, the Tigers’ offense broke through with a pair of runs in the second to take an early lead. 

Axe ​​Milanowski was the spark in the second inning as she doubled following an Amelia Lech leadoff walk to put two in scoring position for Anna Wohlers. Wohlers singled up the middle to plate a run. Nelia Peralta drove a two-out single to right to make it 2-0 lead. Wohlers attempted to score on the play but was thrown out at the plate to end the inning.

The Tigers totaled six hits on Saturday with another in-state player showing out in the rivalry series as Axe Milanowski turned in a second straight multi-hit game as she went 2-for-3 at the plate with a run scored.

Auburn maintained its two-run advantage until the fourth inning when Lech hit her second home run of the series. Her solo blast to left field marked a team-high 12th homer of the season, extending the lead to the ultimate final score of 3-0.

Dean and his Tigers will now await their SEC Tournament seeding as conference play finishes on Sunday. The 2024 SEC Tournament, hosted by the Tigers at Jane B. Moore Field, begins on Tuesday, May 7.

Patrick Bingham | Sports Editor

Patrick is a sophomore from Auburn, Alabama, double majoring in journalism and marketing. He started with The Plainsman in fall 2022.

Share and discuss “Tigers win second straight series over No. 16 Alabama” on social media.