Jim Little | Community Editor

The Auburn Plainsman
Community

Former editor reflects on civil rights coverage

It was a hot and muggy summer day in 1964 in a small Georgia town outside of Atlanta. The 1964-65 editor for The Auburn Plainsman was covering a standoff between civil rights demonstrators and a crowd of white townspeople for The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Don Phillips was originally an engineering major, but decided to change his major to journalism because he said he wanted to graduate quicker. After graduating, Phillips went on to work for the United Press International wire service and became Atlanta bureau manager in 1969.

Uber (Contributed)
Community

Uber halts operations in Auburn

The suspension of operations comes after the City Council passed an ordinance Jan. 6 requiring all vehicle for hire services to pay licensing fees to the city, provide background checks for drivers, have commercial insurance and have cars marked with signage

The Auburn Plainsman
Community

Six-story building planned for outside moratorium boundary

A new six-story development is in the works outside the apartment moratorium boundary. The design of The Parker was submitted to the Auburn Board of Zoning Adjustment at the April 1 meeting. The developers, CA Ventures, presented the plans to the board to request a variance requiring buildings built in the Urban Core District to be built out of brick with accents of stucco, limestone or wood. The board denied the variance request in a 3-2 vote.

More articles »

More media »