Chef's Table adds variety to food choices

On-campus dining is whipping up new options for students as it looks for different menu items to cater to students' different appetites.

At the Chef's Table, Roberto Mewdoza, an executive chef for on-campus dining, said he knows students can quickly get tired of the same menu options.

Mewdoza helps prepare the meals and new events for each upcoming week.

"I try and not to repeat the menus," Mewdoza said. "Every single Wednesday I choose a special, like the first Wednesday can be Italian food and the following Wednesday I choose Mexican food. We choose a country and cook food for that country."

The unique Wednesday tastes-from-around-the-world event is only one special Chef's Table offers to spice up its menu. With a wide variety of menu options for every meal, the Chef's Table accommodates various tastes and preferences.

Shannon Downing, a freshman in biomedical sciences, meets her older sister every Monday, Wednesday and Friday for breakfast at the Chef's Table for grits and pancakes.

Most days the restaurant offers pancakes, biscuits, grits and eggs for breakfast but Downing said she mostly sticks to her regular meal.

Mewdoza said the restaurant offers vegetarian options for each meal, such as stuffed shells with cheese.

Other options include crab cakes and beef teriyaki with rice and other sides.

Specials change each week. Mewdoza said on Tuesday night they have premium night where diners can enjoy a nice piece of steak or grilled items.

Inspired by the idea of TGIF, they serve food like fried shrimp baskets and fried vegetables on Fridays.

"They have the best Southern food, like grits and country fried steak, which is so good," said Teresa Gorman, sophomore in undeclared math and science.

The Chef's Table also wishes students a happy birthday by offering a free slice of birthday cake. Mewdoza said he doesn't mind taking the extra step to make sure students have a great birthday meal.

"I try to work with the students and see if they want to have a special meal that day on their birthday, and I cook it," Mewdoza said.

Coming up, the Chef's Table will host a recipe contest. The winner will receive $100 in Dining Dollars. The recipe will be featured on the menu twice a month.

For lunch, students may choose from two meats and several sauces with sides of fresh vegetables and different salads. Desserts are also an upgrade from the normal cookie or frozen pie at a fast-food restaurants, with tiramisu, red-velvet cake and cheesecake as options.

Kelly Frechette, a sophomore in graphic design, said she loves their breakfast because it reminds her of breakfasts at home.

"Their French toast is the bombdotcom," Frechette said. "And I'm a big fan of my birthday, and now they have free birthday cake, so it makes my world."

The Chef's Table serves breakfast from 7 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., lunch from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. and dinner from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Share and discuss “Chef's Table adds variety to food choices” on social media.