Auburn parties like a champion

It felt like a game day, as more than 60,000 of the Auburn family gathered in Jordan-Hare Stadium to celebrate the Tigers' 2010 national championship, its first since 1957.

"Well, it's a long ways from 1981, when I got here, and it's been a long journey" said former head coach Pat Dye about what the national championship means to Auburn. "You know, it couldn't happen to a greater group of coaches and players. The thing about winning this thing is that when you love Auburn and you love Auburn people, then it just magnifies what a wonderful experience we had. So just enjoy it to the fullest."

Athletic Director Jay Jacobs said Dye laid the foundation for Auburn football after he was hired in 1981.

"He taught the Auburn family a spirit that is not afraid," Jacobs said about Dye.

Students packed Pat Dye Field, which was already emblazoned with the 2010 National Champions logo, and orange-and-blue clad fans filled the lower bowl and portions of the upper decks.

"I've never seen anything like this as a player, as a coach, anything," said assistant coach Tommy Thigpen. "This shows how big college football is at Auburn. It's the most incredible feeling. Every time you wake up, you consider yourself a national champion, and you know what, we deserve it."

Assistant coach Trooper Taylor shared Thigpen's sentiments about what the national championship means to him and Auburn.

"It means the world," Taylor said. "It was unbelievable--just being a part of it. It's something that will never be taken away from us. I'm still on cloud nine."

Head coach Gene Chizik said he wasn't shocked by how many people turned out for the celebration because that's the way Auburn fans are.

"As a coach, you feel like you have a certain responsibility to the fans, obviously, and to people who pour their heart and soul into this university," Chizik said. "And it's students, it's alumni, it's people that didn't go to school here--it's the whole gamut.

"It's awesome to see them all show up here today to celebrate the championship."

The celebration began with President Jay Gogue addressing those in attendance.

"It's a great day in the life of Auburn University," Gogue said. "For 14 games, there were two great teams on the field--the Auburn offense and the Auburn defense."

After remarks by Gov. Robert Bentley, each player on the Auburn roster ran out of the tunnel as they were introduced, with Heisman winner Cam Newton and Lombardi Award winner Nick Fairley receiving thunderous applause.

The celebration included trophy presentations.

Former quarterbacks Stan White and Randy Campbell presented the Heisman trophy to Newton, who took a brief moment to flash the Heisman pose from the dais.

"I just had to do that," Newton said.

Newton thanked Tim Jackson, the executive associate athletic director, for keeping him level-headed while off-the-field issues swirled around during the second half of the season.

Newton credited God, his family and the Auburn family for never losing faith in him.

"I believe in Auburn and I love it. War Eagle!" said Newton before he returned to his seat.

Nick Fairley also spoke after being presented with the Lombardi trophy by his position coach and former Lombardi Award winner Tracey Rocker.

"I told coach Rocker that one day I'd have my picture on this stadium," said Fairley in a humorous moment between player and coach.

The parade of trophies concluded with the presentation of the AP National Championship Trophy to coach Gus Malzahn and the BCS Championship Trophy to Chizik.

"We're going to keep this one for a long time," said Jacobs of the BCS Trophy.

Seniors Lee Ziemba and Kodi Burns also spoke.

"When I think about the Auburn Creed," Jacobs said, "all I think about is Kodi Burns."

Ziemba said that no amount of crystal balls could make up for the Auburn family.

"Trophies and rings fade away," Ziemba said, "but the Auburn family lasts forever."

After raising the crystal football above his head, Chizik said that there is nothing more satisfying to him than to see all of those who have waited so long for a national championship here in Auburn to celebrate.

Chizik ended his remarks with a forceful "War Damn Eagle," before a flag stating "2010 National Champions" was raised above the jumbotron.

Share and discuss “Auburn parties like a champion” on social media.