Tigers recover at Homecoming

Auburn celebrated the 2011 installment of Homecoming and Senior Day with a 35-16 victory over Samford on a day that former Auburn player and Samford coach Pat Sullivan returned to the Plains.

Prior to the game, Samford coach and Auburn great Pat Sullivan was honored at midfield as teammates from the 1969-71 teams stood behind him.

Running back Michael Dyer led the way in the game for the Tigers with a 159-yard effort on 30 carries out of 415 total yards.

After stalling offensively early in the game, Auburn made its mark on the scoreboard first, scoring with 7:07 left in the first quarter.

Quarterback Clint Moseley connected with tight end Philip Lutzenkirchen for a 32-yard touchdown pass to give Auburn a 7-0 lead after driving 55 yards in nine plays.

The Tigers had an opportunity to make it a two-score game late in the first quarter, but stalled in the red zone. The drive ended with Cody Parkey missing a 32-yard field goal, which gave Samford the ball on the 20.

Samford took advantage of the wide-right kick, taking the ball straight down the field. The Bulldogs drove 80 yards in 10 plays to put Samford on the board.

Initially, Auburn stopped Samford for no gain on third down on the Tigers' 13 yard line, but linebacker Eltoro Freeman was called for a personal foul after the play, giving the Bulldogs first and goal on the six.

Two plays later, quarterback Dustin Taliaferro's eight-yard pass to wide receiver Kelsey Pope tied the game 7-7. Pope finished the day with 90 yards on 13 receptions and a score.

Auburn responded on its next drive, which spanned 61 yards in 10 plays, to regain the lead.

The drive, which consisted of eight Auburn rushes, was ended by Onterio McCalebb running untouched into the end zone, giving the Tigers a 14-7 lead.

After a three-and-out defensive stop, McCalebb fumbled the ball, giving it back to Samford on the Bulldogs' 45. It was one of Auburn's two lost fumbles of the quarter.

Samford drove to the Auburn 23-yard-line before kicker Cameron Yaw made a 40-yard field goal, which made the score 14-10 heading to the half.

Samford's offensive struggles in the red zone continued at the beginning of the third quarter.

After a first-and-10 on the Auburn 13, the Bulldogs were unable to gain any yards. Yaw was able to make the 28-yard field goal to put Samford within a point of Auburn.

Auburn, once again, responded on its next drive. The drive, which gave Auburn a 21-13 lead, didn't come without fans breaking a sweat, though.

After driving to the Samford 45, Dyer fumbled the ball, which was recovered by Samford. What would have been Auburn's third fumble on the day ended up overturned after the review.

Dyer carried the ball the next five plays, which ended with him bullying his way up the middle into the end zone from five yards out.

Samford remained in the game, however, putting together a drive that started in the third quarter and ended with just over 13 minutes left in the game.

But it was another drive for the Bulldogs that stalled in the red zone, ending with another Yaw field goal of 37 yards.

McCalebb gave Auburn good field position on the ensuing kickoff, taking it 45 yards to the Samford 37.

On second and eight of the drive, Moseley scrambled up the middle for a 22-yard rushing touchdown, giving Auburn a 28-16 lead.

The Tigers sealed the game when McCalebb scored from 10 yards out with 2:17 left in the game for a final score of 35-16.

Share and discuss “Tigers recover at Homecoming” on social media.