Aasif Mandvi comes to Auburn

UPC hosted Aasif Mandvi, well-known correspondent for “The Daily Show,” at the Foy Auditorium on Monday, March 9.

Miranda Marty, senior in political science and director of speakers and comedians committee said they choose Mandvi because he is relevant and they choose speakers or comedians to do a show in Auburn typically based on whether they are well-known.

“One of those things where it’s someone who has a recognizable face and a somewhat recognizable name,” Marty said.

The process of choosing a comedian to come to Auburn takes careful preparation, according to Marty.

“Initially we start off with a list of about three or five people, speakers or comedians, who we’d like to bring to Auburn who we think would attract the biggest crowd for the money and we make initial contact with their middle man who then checks the availability, and their price range,” Marty said.

Mandvi read to the audience a couple of stories from his book, “No Land’s Man,” during the show.

“The book just talks about his career and I think about his family’s journey and how they immigrated to the United States,” Marty said.

During the show, Mandvi answered some questions from the audience.

“The fact that we put on a show every day, the fact that there is a show ready to go at 6 p.m. every day of the week is unbelievable,” Mandvi said when asked about the most surprising/shocking thing he has encountered while working on “The Daily Show.”

Chris Porter, junior in professional writing, said he thought the show was funny and hearing about the background of people he sees on TV made the experience more personable.

“I really liked the beginning,” Porter said. “The intro and getting to hear him rant about his comedic stage, it was nice.”

Bethany Bittinger, junior in aerospace engineering and assistant director of speakers and comedians, said she liked the Q&A format.

“I actually really enjoyed the Q&A session because people asked him really interesting questions about his role in movies but also his comedy, some roles, and past shows that I didn’t know he had done” Bittinger said.

Genesis Barco, junior in English, said being able to hear how Mandvi grew up made her relate and especially as a minority.

Barco said a story Mandvi shared about a cultural practice of his made her realize that cultures are different and just because they may do something she wouldn’t, it’s not grounds for judgment.

The event was free to students because UPC strives to provide free events to students since their tuition already covers the cost, according to Marty.

Share and discuss “Aasif Mandvi comes to Auburn” on social media.