Opinion: Growth brings many changes not all are for Auburn

In 2011, I moved from Boston to be closer to family who had relocated to Auburn.

I really didn’t know much about the University, except it had a big football program, and I heard it couldn’t make up its mind about a mascot.

When my stepfather took me on a drive around town, I was stunned at the size of the facilities, campus and stadium.

Both him and my step-grandparents had attended Auburn, so I was given some great perspective as to what the campus previously looked like.

The small size of the town, yet large size of the campus was completely opposite of my previous college experience.

My former institution was roughly 700 students but situated in Kenmore Square, right near Fenway Park (home to the greatest baseball team).

Over the past four years of living here, this town has changed drastically.

Being here full-time, I’ve been able to see the growth the city makes every semester.

This change is certainly inevitable as the University keeps posting higher enrollment rates than before.

Media outlets from CNNMoney to Forbes, and numerous internet listicles expressing the loveliness of Auburn, attract former students, families and retirees to come and plant roots.

I think some of this rapid change and growth has shocked many people who have lived here for years, and many don’t know how to react.

As with any subject, there are both pros and cons.

It must be understood that Auburn is primarily a college town.

As a city that grew up along with the establishment of the East Alabama Male College, the city and University have a symbiotic relationship.

As enrollment grows, people from all over the globe come to attend Auburn.

From cities across the United States, to countries in the opposite hemisphere, Auburn is becoming a multicultural and diverse institution.

With a growing population, the city has had to find ways to accommodate, and newer housing complexes are being built.

Some argue that these structures are causing Auburn to lose some of its small-town charm.

I find it hard to believe that any of the current or future apartment complexes will be an eye-sore to the campus.

Many of the places that have been replaced by the new apartments were falling into a sorry state or were very dated.

The rapid expansion and increase in population has forced many roads to be worked on, often making areas look better.

The Opelika Road corridor has been spruced up, with a more efficient turn signal at the intersection of Ross Street, better sidewalks and safer crosswalks.

Toomer’s Corner and the redevelopment of downtown has been a great addition to the city as well.

With a more pedestrian-friendly walking area, improvements to the alleys and a new brick intersection with an obligatory tiger paw, Auburn feels more lovely than before.

I hope as the city continues to grow, issues are addressed and compromises are made.

It is essential that Auburn continues to make strides to keep the city up to date, but yet retain its charm that attracts many people back.

For those that wish to see the town stay small forever, those days are long gone.

Share and discuss “Opinion: Growth brings many changes not all are for Auburn” on social media.